Dear:

Never build chromium by Visual Studio 2008 + SP1, otherwise, you will
get huge performance penalty
***Visual Studio 2008 C++ code slower than Visual Studio 2005***

Please check the following link:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/fb32033b-7bad-439b-a94c-943a17f0cbb2

"In Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (SP1 not RTM) there is a serious bug with /
O2 optimization. One way this bug can be triggered is by upgrading a
project from a previous version. Even though the project setting shows
the release build is set to /O2, the build can be not optimized at
all. To work around it you have to change the setting to no
optimization, apply, and then change it back to /O2. The quick way to
see if this is needed is to check whether the setting for optimization
is in bold or regular - if's it's bold you're OK; if it's regular text
you're not.

This bug has been reported to Microsoft by many people over the past
few months via the Connect feedback site but every case has been
closed by them without doing anything and for completely invalid
reasons."

I benchmarked the latest chromium in release version with same
benchmarker tool  .I can only get about 34xx score if i built chromium
by  VS2005, but I get 23xx score if I built with VS2008,   the
performance difference is huge( 34xx vs 23xx)

It seems that one of the following conclusions is true:
1) VS2008 + SP1 is broken on /O2 optimization
2) chromium gyp delivers bad configuration for VS2008(/O2 is ignored)