Hi Antony,

My fixes arrived at 33433. Did you sync that before trying the above?
I hadn't validated command line builds (I'm checking that myself now).

Oh by the way, I assume you're using /Out because of devenv.exe 's weird
console piping behavior.
Something we learned with the bots is that if you use devenv.com, normal
piping works correctly, ie you can use |less.

So there were 2 core problems that I've patched up, but which need to be
done properly, and a 3rd which was fixed about a week ago:

1. For ~1-2 months now, there has been an issue in which gyp generates
different vcproj files (some slashes flipped the wrong way) when run under
cygwin (this got broke at some point). This does not actually affect all
cygwin users, because of the behavior of depot_tools. Historically
depot_tools installed its own python, which took precedence over cygwin
python. This meant that if you used gclient runhooks, you'd always be using
win32 python. At some point in the last 3 months or so, depot_tools was
changed, so that it only installs its own python if one is not already in
the path. So cygwin users who have cygwin python installed at the time they
first installed depot_tools, will end up using gyp with cygwin python. These
cygwin generated vcproj files fail for several modules, notably nacl.
I've corrected this in a somewhat hacky way, but the two now are basically
identical.

2. Nacl currently makes extensive use of msvs_cygwin_shell: 0. This option
in gyp was intended to allow direct access to cmd on windows. Most targets
in chrome with actions/rules do not use this option. This option was
intended as a backdoor for things like running setup_mount to get the
hermetic cygwin initialized. Unfortunately, nacl's scons build made
extensive use of scons's more flexible command line handling.
In transitioning to gyp, several command lines where handled by using
conditionals on platform, and using platform specific piping etc.
msvs_cygwin_shell: 0, makes no attempt to setup cygwin or python in the
path. As a result, at some point nacl folks added PYTHON_EXE, wrapper
scripts, and other gyp variables to 'fix' the problem. These scripts didn't
take into account the possibility that devenv.exe could be invoke with
cygwin stuff in the path, and so fail when devenv is started from the
command line. I've corrected these scripts so that they work in the presence
of cygwin. This is, however, a stopgap. What really needs to happen is that
all actions/rules in nacl's gyp files should NOT use msvs_cygwin_shell. This
will mean adding some additional python wrapper scripts / changing the
assumption in existing scripts that the build system is capable of handling
piping.

3. A little while back we had a miscommunication about output directories.
Nacl has started generating 32 and 64 bit output. A change went into nacl's
common.gypi which causes output to go to Debug-Win32 / Debug-x64. Since none
of chrome's infrastructure knows to clobber these directories, incremental
builds can hide problems. This got fixed about a week ago. So all the output
should be under Debug.

So far so good on the command line build I started at the beginning of this
email. I'll drop by and see if you're still hitting issues this afternoon.

-BradN