(Disclaimer: I know very little about a11y.)

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Erik Kay <erik...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazz...@google.com>
>> This experimental API exposes information about focused controls in the
>> native ui, like dialog boxes and the location bar.  Specifically, it allows
>> an extension to determine the current focused control and listen to events
>> such as changing focus, selecting controls, and text editing.  It optionally
>> allows for generating keyboard events, too.
>> Existing screenreaders on Mac, Windows, and Linux do a good job of
>> exposing simple dialog boxes, but a poor job of exposing complicated web
>> pages.  Javascript-based screenreaders can often provide much better support
>> for browsing the web, but are poor at exposing the user interface of the
>> browser.  This solution empowers javascript-based screenreaders.
>> Use cases
>> 1. Build a complete screenreader as a Chrome extension, similar to the
>> "FireVox" screenreader for Firefox (see http://www.firevox.clcworld.net/).
>>  This would enable developers to create custom accessibility solutions for
>> people with all sorts of special needs, using JavaScript, that will run on
>> Chrome on any platform.

It's not clear to me who the intended target of this.  It would seem
users that already have accessibility needs will already be using the
native accessibility framework, and Chrome will need to fit into that.
 However, clearly someone saw the need for Fire Vox so I must be
missing something.

>> 2. Enable pure-javascript testing of browser user-interface elements, like
>> interacting with controls in a dialog box.  This could potentially simplify
>> some ui tests.

Another way to approach this is to provide a simplified JS interface
to the native accessibility libraries.  That would doubly service to
allow us to test our accessibility code.

There's a proposal from Adobe for using the native accessibility
framework for plugins (Flash), so if this goes through any API that
intends to cover plugins as well will eventually need to go through
the native API.  (Note that this I believe this is still in the draft
stage.)
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Plugins:NativeAccessibility