On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:51 AM, Peter Kasting <pkast...@google.com> wrote:

> They don't seem orthogonal, since in kiosk mode it doesn't seem like you
> would ever want to show a user a print dialog (or any other kind of system
> configuration dialog).

I agree as well. 1+

> Why not instead make these things that can be configured in the
> preferences, which (being JSON) can be more descriptive without affecting
> the command-line parsing code?

Thats the idea that was intended. Marc-Antoine, Sverrir and I actually did
basic printer settings preferences a way back, (the definition of it) you
can view the code here:
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=13426

The definition of the preferences for printing (so far) is defined as
follows:

"printing": {
   "page": {
      "header": {
         "left": " ",
         "center": " ",
         "right": " "
      },
      "footer": {
         "left": "{date}",
         "center": " ",
         "right": " "
      }
   }
}

Those are not hooked up yet to our printing yet, and would be great to do
so. We can offer other preferences for printing there as well. But make sure
you inform Marc-Antoine (maruel@)  and the group before doing anything.

I don't think its ideal to put --printer configurations in the command line
parameter, it shouldn't be like that and it becomes confusing and cluttered.
We already have a place in preferences for "printing".

If you want, I can assist you on the Windows portion (I am an external
contributor so my time is usually limited). There is a lot printing related
issues related to threads that need to be fixed first before hooking it up
the preferences printer settings to chrome.
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list?q=label:Printing

Let us know and let me know if you need a Windows SideKick :)