CygWin is not POSIX system. It tries to emulate POSIX as much as feasible
but version 1.5, for example, does not even use POSIX filesystem namespace!

Anyway I've checked: latest stable version (1.7.1-1) works just fine here.
You can create directory "http:" - but it'll look really funny in Explorer
and other Windows-native programs (CygWin can not put this name in
Windows-native slot so it creates some surrogate to put there).

P.S. There are interesting fact related to specifically colon and MacOS.
Classic MacOS uses colon as delimeter and you can use slash in filename.
when they used POSIX-compliat kernel they needed some way to resolve thus
collision. The solution was simple and elegant: they swapped colon and slash
- so if you'll create "http:" directory old MacOS 9 program will see "http/"
directory. Thus you can create file which looks as "http://google.com"; for
unix-programs and for MacOS programs (even if it'll be two different files).