On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Evan Martin <e...@chromium.org> wrote:

> PS: I'd be willing to flip the flag just after we do the next beta
> channel push and see how many more problems we get because of it.
> But in general, if it doesn't buy us any performance and it does cause
> hard-to-track-down crashes, I don't see why we should use it.

If it causes hard-to-track-down crashes I agree that is bad.  If the
compiler can't catch errors like this at compile time and we have them at
runtime, then I agree with you that we should turn off strict aliasing for
now.

 The
> "correctness" gain doesn't buy us anything on other platforms anyway.

It depends what you mean.  We use GCC on Linux, Mac, and ChromeOS, and we
want to be able to run ChromeOS on ARM, where strict aliasing makes a bigger
performance impact than on x86 due to the number of available registers.  On
Windows, I don't believe MSVC allows you to enable strict aliasing rules,
but ICC would, although for some reason we've never evaluated using it.

PK