On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Drew Wilson <atwil...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Interesting. So if an extension has a background page, the idea is that as
> soon as we open an incognito page every extension with a background page
> would load up a second instance, which would remain running even after the
> incognito window has closed?

I think we can terminate the second background page when the incognito
window closes, but otherwise that is the idea.

One of the things I'm looking at is allowing extensions to expose UI through
> systray icons (part of my proposal to add persistence to extensions) - if
> multiple instances of these extensions were loaded due to incognito windows,
> you'd end up with multiple duplicate systray icons, which seems wonky.
>
> These are all issues that would also occur if you had multiple profiles,
> but I think it'd be confusing to users if there were user-visible artifacts
> of having multiple extensions loaded due to incognito windows.

One of the reasons I wanted to address extensions in incognito now is so we
come up with a solution before painting ourselves into a corner. Depending
on the way this systray API is designed, it can be specced so that only one
systray icon is created regardless of incognito.

That said, you bring up a good point in general, and I will add it to the
list of cons. Unfortunately I don't know of any alternative approach that
doesn't cause extensions to violate incognito mode.