On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 04:43:20PM +0100, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> I thought that having the server portion work by default would be very nice
> to user.

Are there any users that want to run an NTP server knowing that the
clock is not synchronized by something else, but not care if it will
be synchronized or not when the server is running?

> But I agree that if time there is like "really bad" then it has to be an
> explicit opt in by user/tool that sets it up.

I'd say running chronyd with -x as a server while the clock is
synchronized by another process is better than two processes
controlling the clock at the same time, but I'd still not recommend
it.

If there is no other way to run an NTP server (e.g. on a VPS), ok,
there is an option. But I think that disabling the control is such an
important aspect of the operation that it should always be explicitly
configured for that.

Does that make sense?

FWIW, I personally use -x only for testing.

--
Miroslav Lichvar