On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 11:37:05AM -0800, Matt Corallo wrote:
> Specifically, on a 1GHz amd64 AMD GX-412TC with a few PHC refclocks
> being polled, a main loop iteration can take a millisecond or two,
> depending on the time taken to read the PHC clocks. This easily
> adds up to poll interval slippage, slipping the update interval and
> leading to samples which are ignored due to missing their
> maxlockage setting.

Is the occasional missing sample causing any issues? Have you tried
increasing maxlockage?

The slippage is intentional. It nicely avoids the "skipping poll
window" issue you are handling in your code and gives the process time
to do other things in case the refclock polling is too slow/too
frequent.

It doesn't seem right to me to be doing something periodically at
exactly the same fraction of the second. There could be other things
running on the system doing that, e.g. heavy network activity
or just multiple instances of chronyd trying to read the PHC at the
same time. If the alignment of the intervals was fixed, these
collisions could be much more frequent than if one or both were
randomly moving.

This would be like NTP clients polling the server at the same second
of a minute, causing spikes in the network and server load, impacting
quality of their measurements. This is a common issue observed on
public servers due to people starting ntpdate/chronyd -q from cron.

--
Miroslav Lichvar