On Wednesday 25 November 2015 11:55:24 Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:45:12AM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 November 2015 10:06:22 Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > > Hm, bugs that disappear when trying to debug them are the worst kind.
> > >
> > > I'd suggest to ask the OpenRC maintainers if they have any idea what
> > > could be wrong here or have some hints on how to debug it.
> >
> > Maybe I'm going round in circles here, but I've just established that
> > setting rtcsync in chrony.conf causes the error, while setting rtcfile
> > does not. That leads me to suspect the kernel config again, so I'll go
> > and make some coffee...
>
> I suspect that just changes the timing between fork and exit of the
> foreground chronyd process, which somehow avoids a race condition. You
> could try to put "usleep(100000);" after the go_daemon() call in
> main.c in the chrony source code and see if that doesn't "fix" the
> problem too.

You're right - it does.

(On this Gentoo box I had to unpack the source, make a copy, edit the copy,
diff the two to make a patch, copy /usr/portage/net-misc/chrony/ to a local
overlay, copy the 2.2.ebuild to 2.2-r1.ebuild in the overlay, add to it an
epatch call to apply the patch, create a new manifest - then emerge chrony.
Simple! The box is now running an unofficial version 2.2-r1 of chrony.)

Of course, the simplest thing for me would be just to change rtcsync to
rtcfile in chrony.conf, delete all that -r1 stuff and hope no-one else
stumbles into the same problem. That might not suit you though.

--
Rgds
Peter