I let the time sync come from systemd with the NTP servers I set in
the wan's .network file.

local stratum->"# If you want to present your computer's time for
others to synchronise
# with, even if you don't seem to be synchronised to any NTP servers
# yourself"
So for the case such as yesterday when my ISP connection dropped, I
still wanted my devices to sync time with my server.

...hmm, it's sounding like you hadn't seen the interaction I had with
Miroslav Lichvar where the issue is resolved.