Nothing in /dev/shm.   I added the log entries to chrony.conf but there is
no /var/log/chrony/refclocks file.

here is the latest chrony.conf.

#server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
#server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
#server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
#server 3.us.pool.ntp.org

driftfile /var/lib/chrony/drift

allow

# set larger delay to allow the NMEA source to overlap with
# the other sources and avoid the falseticker status
refclock SHM 0 refid GPS precision 1e-1 offset 0.9999 delay 0.2
#refclock SHM 1 refid PPS precision 1e-9
refclock SOCK /var/run/chrony.ttyACM0.sock refid GPSS

makestep 1 -1

logdir /var/log/chrony
log refclocks

after making the mods I restarted chrony.  here is the chronyc sources
output

210 Number of sources = 2
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
#? GPS                           0   4     0   10y     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-
 0ns
#? GPSS                          0   4     0   10y     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-
 0ns

ps -ef |grep gpsd |grep -v grep
gpsd     31426     1  0 13:36 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/gpsd -N -F
/var/run/chrony.ttyACM0.sock /dev/ttyACM0