I only included the relevant lines.  When the socket didn't work either I
commented it out and went back to shm

Here is my full chrony.conf.  Note, I commented out the ntp servers so that
I can just concentrate on troubleshooting the GPS clock and uncommented the
SOCK line

#server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
#server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
#server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
#server 3.us.pool.ntp.org

driftfile /var/lib/chrony/drift

allow

# set larger delay to allow the NMEA source to overlap with
# the other sources and avoid the falseticker status
refclock SHM 0 refid GPS precision 1e-1 offset 0.9999 delay 0.2
#refclock SHM 1 refid PPS precision 1e-9
refclock SOCK /var/run/chrony.ttyACM0.sock refid GPSS

makestep 1 -1