Ok,  Here are the latest strace files.  It looks like the chrony in the
Jessie repos does not have debug compiled in.  I downloaded the latest
source and compiled.  The trace is using that binary not the distro
supplied (Ver. 1.30).  I should note that I already tried the fresh
compiled version before and got the same results as the distro version.