UGH!!!    I really wish distros would provide software that is more up to
date.    Looks like it might have been gpsd.

On a whim I decided to scrap the repo provided gpsd AND chrony and compiled
everything myself.  it now appears as if everything is working.

chrony sources output:

210 Number of sources = 1
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample

#* GPS                           0   4   377    17   +296us[ +347us] +/-
 200ms

I am perfectly happy with 200ms error in time.   That more than suits my
needs.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.    I was trying to save time and
frustration by using the repo supplied (and you would think tested)
binaries.   It would have been a lot quicker and less frustrating to just
compile.  lol.