William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ un...@physics.ubc.ca
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017, Benjamin Schnieders wrote:

      But you could have installed a new chronyc and chronyd, but not then
restarted
      chronyd, so it is still an old version of chronyd running.

The chrony install was fresh, also, removing the packet definitely also kills
the process.

Funny thing I just saw on my home machine: here, chronyd is running as
"_chrony" user, and as far as I
remember, on the work computer it's run as root. Could that be a potential
error?

chrony needs to be started as root, so it can bind to the various restricted
ports (eg 123) it needs, but then it changes user to chrony. Not sure if _chrony was a misprint.