When you specify a hostname, that's it. It's a 32bit address (ipv4 of
course).  Throwing a netmask on it does nothing except specify that your
network segment has 64,510 usable addresses.  Now if you edit /etc/networks
and add mynet 10.10.0.0 then you can use the mynet/16 notation in your
chrony.conf