My view on this is that host/prefix is a shorthand notation for (ip_address &
mask) and that should work for both IPv6 and IPv4.
i.e. there is an assumption that people understand how the network and mask are
both calculated and used.

I have no problem with the ip part being either a name or an address. In the
case of a name, there is always the dilemma of which ip address to use if there
are multiple A records for that name.

In chrony I think name/prefix could mean all hosts in the network defined by
(address & mask) == (host & mask)

> On 26/07/2017, at 2:40 AM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlich...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:28:09AM -0400, Chris Greenman wrote:
>> When you specify a hostname, that's it. It's a 32bit address (ipv4 of
>> course).  Throwing a netmask on it does nothing except specify that your
>> network segment has 64,510 usable addresses.  Now if you edit /etc/networks
>> and add mynet 10.10.0.0 then you can use the mynet/16 notation in your
>> chrony.conf
>
> If the network is specified in /etc/networks, there should be no need
> to add /16, right?
>
> chronyd doesn't use the getnet*() functions (which work with
> /etc/networks), so I'm wondering how does that work. It doesn't seem
> to work for me.
>
> --
> Miroslav Lichvar
>
> --