> On 26/07/2017, at 10:37 AM, Bryan Christianson <br...@whatroute.net> wrote:
>
> I was just looking through macOS 10.13, wondering why ntpd was not running.
> Apple seem to have got rid of it and are now using something called timed.
> I don't know anything at all about it, other than its running (I just enabled
> it after stopping chronyd) and I think is using the ntpd config files. There
> is a man page (posted below). It must have been around for a while as it was
> available in iOS 5.0
>
> I guess its either NOT making any adjtime() calls and is exclusively using
> ntp_adjtime(), or alternatively, they have deliberately broken adjtime() in
> the kernel to match what this timed is expecting. Probably the former rather
> than the latter I would hope.

I spent some time observing it with tcpdump and hunting through the system logs
(a nightmare with Apple's new "improved logging"). It seems to be not much more
than an sntp client, making calls to the time server and using settimeofday()
to set the clock at 15 minute intervals. Maybe its more sophisticated than
that, but its not obvious.

Bryan Christianson
br...@whatroute.net