On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:39:32PM +1200, Bryan Christianson wrote:

> > On 26/07/2017, at 10:37 AM, Bryan Christianson <br...@whatroute.net> wrote:
> >
> > I was just looking through macOS 10.13, wondering why ntpd was not running.
> > Apple seem to have got rid of it and are now using something called timed.
> > I don't know anything at all about it, other than its running (I just
> > enabled it after stopping chronyd) and I think is using the ntpd config
> > files. There is a man page (posted below). It must have been around for a
> > while as it was available in iOS 5.0
> >
> I spent some time observing it with tcpdump and hunting through the system
> logs (a nightmare with Apple's new "improved logging"). It seems to be not
> much more than an sntp client, making calls to the time server and using
> settimeofday() to set the clock at 15 minute intervals. Maybe its more
> sophisticated than that, but its not obvious.

Interesting. Do you have a packet capture you could share?

Replacing ntpd with a smaller implementation makes perfect sense to
me, at least for the default case. IIRC there was a daemon
(pacemaker?) that controlled ntpd. I think this was necessary for
good power saving, but I think there were some reports that the
timekeeping wasn't very good.

I'm wondering if they have considered using chrony and what issues
they had with it. The biggest one would probably be licensing (GPL).

--
Miroslav Lichvar