I have chrony servers that are using phc refclocks.  Those refclocks are
kept in TAI, so I have to specify the current TAI-UTC offset in the
`refclock' directive ("offset -37").

I cross check that the current value I have set there seems sane via some
monitoring that uses the timezone files to compute the difference between
posix/UTC and right/UTC.  So, at least when it changes, I'll find out about
it (I also make sure my timezone files are up to date).  The downside is
obviously that I have to go update a bunch of config files and restart
chronyd when the next leap second occurs.

I was hoping that I'd be able to use the `leapsectz' directive to ask
chrony to automatically calculate the TAI-UTC offset for my refclock, but
after some testing, I'm not sure that is possible (or, I'm just doing
something wrong).

Is the idea of the leapsectz directive just that your refclock gives you
whatever time it gives you (perhaps TAI, perhaps UTC) and the timezone
files are just used so chrony can, for example, arm the kernel (if
leapsecmode is system) and advertise the impending leap second to
downstream clients?

Assuming I'm not misunderstanding, would it be possible to add something to
allow the TAI-UTC offset to be dynamically calculated using the timezone
files for refclocks?