On Wed, 25 Oct 2017, V10lator wrote:

Hi,
I wanted to setup my own stratum 1 NTP server, so I wired a raw DCF77 receiver (127.127.8.0 mode 5 or 127.127.8.0 mode 6 with ntpd) to a SBC and tested a bit with ntpd. After some time I decided to give chrony a try as ntpd had too much shortcomings.

Now chronyc is a complete show stopper as I can't find a way to tell it to read the DCF77 signal. There are only options for PPS (GPS receivers, I think). SHM also is no option as the only thing usable with this is radioclk but that seems to be for ntpd only:

a) you will need some daemon to actually read the dcf77 signal. chronyd (not
chronyc-- that is just a monitoring tool) does not have anything native. I
know that originally when Lichvar took over he implimented a way to use the
ntpd daemons to read the various refclocks and deliver those to chrony, but I
neither remember or ever used that, and it may not have survived. b) dcf77 is a lousy refclock. It is only good to ms accuracy, because there is
no way to compensate for the travel time of the signal, or the variations in
that travel time produced by the ionosphere/clouds/... You get much better
accuracy from network time signals, or using a cheap gps receiver.

$ apt-get install radioclk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       Reading state information... Done
libtomcrypt0 libtommath0 timelimit
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
ntp
Suggested packages:
ntp-doc apparmor
The following packages will be REMOVED:
chrony
ntp radioclk
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 20.4 kB/485 kB of archives.
After this operation, 910 kB of additional disk space will be used.

You installed ntpd and removed chrony.

So how to use chrony with a raw DCF77 receiver? There doesn't seem to be any info on the net other than

with "help" in the subject.