> When chronyd opens a socket with kernel RX timestamping and it's the
> only socket on the system using timestamping, it takes some time
> before the kernel actually starts timestamping received packets. If a
> response is received before that, it will only have a daemon timestamp
> and that one is bad due to waiting for the transmit timestamp.

Glad you found something, so the problem occurs when the ntp response
packet is received before the kernel could initialize the RX timestamping ?

As a workaround, you can enable the NTP server socket, which will keep
> the timestamping enabled, e.g. by adding "allow 127.0.0.1" to
> chrony.conf.

Works great this way, thanks ! Hardware/Kernel all the time and low peer
delay with this workaround.