Hi Folks,

I'm looking to try to speed up the initial sync with external NTP
servers that chronyd performs when it starts up at boot, taking
network latency out of the equation are there any chrony.conf options
(or compile options) which could be used to speed up the intial sync?
A stripped down config which I'm testing right now looks like this:

root@192:~# cat /etc/chrony.conf
# internal stratum 2 anycast addresses
server <some-ipv4-anycast-address> iburst
server <some-ipv4-anycast-address> iburst
server <some-ipv4-anycast-address> iburst
server <some-ipv4-anycast-address> iburst
server <some-ipv4-anycast-address> iburst
server <some-ipv4-anycast-address> iburst

# stratum 3 ntp pool available on the public internet (fallback).
pool time.windows.com iburst

# Always step due to lack of RTC.
makestep 1.0 -1

driftfile /var/lib/chrony/chrony.drift

maxupdateskew 100.0

maxdistance 16.0
root@192:~#

I'm seeing this configuration take around 6s and would like to reduce
this time as much as possible, can anyone suggest anything to consider
here? Removing some servers might be an option if this speeds things
up.

I'm using a systemd service which is using the waitsync command to
test for synchronization, the relevant command is:

/usr/bin/chronyc -h 127.0.0.1,::1 waitsync 20 0.1 0.0 1

This is taking around 6s to complete after chronyd starts (network is
online at this point).

Many Thanks,
Peter.