I have the same problem that the chronyd fails to start due to a delayed
PPS device creation.

I had to postpone the start of chronyd by setting of ExecStartPre to a
script to monitor the device's status.

I like the way that ntpd to deal this situation: starts the daemon and sync
to the device with regular operation rule, using it depends on its stratum
and precision.

Frank Huang