On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 01:22:11PM +0000, Niko Delarich wrote:
> I know the situation is not ideal and the customer should probably just use
> better servers but shouldn't chrony just pick the "better" of the two servers
> in this case (#2 with stratum 3)?
> There's a comment in sources.c:869 which seems to indicate it should:
>   The first case is just bad luck - we need extra sources to
>   detect the falseticker, so just make an arbitrary choice based
>   on stratum & stability etc.

If I understand that comment correctly, it is for the example with
three servers, where two and two agree with one another, so that's a
different case, and the "arbitrary choice" is for selecting the system
peer, not a falseticker.

> Or is there maybe a configuration option I'm missing? Setting one of the
> sources to "trusted" manually is most likely not an option for us since the
> servers may be assigned by a DHCP server.

No, I don't think there is a non-source option that would force
chronyd to select a source in this case.

They should disable the bad server.

--
Miroslav Lichvar