I difficulty with gpsd and pps and I found that I had to compile gpsd
without pps support. I also had to build chrony *with *pps support which
I'm assuming you already did. Below are my gpsd notes from when I did this
a couple years ago. Hopefully it's still relatively current. Apologies if
some steps are obvious to you. I wrote the instructions so they could be
followed by someone with limited knowledge of BBB, Linux, Chrony, etc (this
includes myself especially since my memory is not so good). The
instructions are also specific to the way I set my BBB up (Serial GPS data
on ttyS4) so please keep that in mind. Hope this helps. I'm now happier
that I took some decent notes on this so that I can help someone from this
group since all of the folks here were so incredibly helpful when I was
bumbling my way through.

*Build gpsd Instructions*

The built-in gpsd package (gotten using apt-get install) for BBB has PPS
support compiled in. This causes issues because gpsd creates a PPS device
for /dev/ttyS4 (serial port where GPS data is coming in). We don’t want
that PPS device. Before you build all this make sure to stop the gpsd
service using:

sudo systemctl stop gpsd

Get the latest source package from
http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/gpsd

sudo apt-get install scons

sudo apt-get install chrpath

Refer to the build.txt file in the source directory for details on build
options and whatnot. You can also look at SConstruct file to get more
details

scons prefix=/usr pps=no

scons testregress

sudo scons uninstall

sudo scons udev-install

sudo scons install (Not sure this is even necessary)

Then restart gpsd using sudo systemctl start gpsd