On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 2:00 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlich...@redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 03:53:17PM -0600, Dave Hajoglou wrote:
> > refclock SHM 0 refid GPS precision 1e-1
> >
> > refclock PPS /dev/pps1 lock NEMA
>
> There are two issues with this config. One is that the PPS refclock is
> locking to a non-existent refid

Thanks for taking a look.  Good catch on the refids.  I have been bouncing
between different config examples and I had a NEMA refid for the GPS SHM at
one point then switched to GPS and didn't update the PPS.

I also made sure that PPS was complied into chrony and I even removed the
PPS support from GPS so that I'm only referencing the Kernel PPS device.
That did not improve anything

> and the SHM refclock is not marked as
> noselect. Try this
>
> refclock SHM 0 refid NMEA precision 1e-1 noselect
> refclock PPS /dev/pps1 lock NMEA refid GPS
>
> New config:

refclock SHM 0 refid NEMA precision 1e-1 noselect

refclock PPS /dev/pps0 lock NEMA  refid GPS

After running for about an hour I get no selection as expected.  But, I
also get no detection of the PPS either.

#? NEMA                          0   4   377    16   +177ms[ +177ms] +/-
100ms

#? GPS                           0   4     0     -     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-
0ns

=>The PPS isn't processing or being seen by the logs but the device is
active:

trying PPS source "/dev/pps0"

found PPS source "/dev/pps0"

ok, found 1 source(s), now start fetching data...

source 0 - assert 1585247167.944762955, sequence: 51077 - clear  0.000000000,
sequence: 0

source 0 - assert 1585247168.944717687, sequence: 51078 - clear  0.000000000,
sequence: 0

=>cgps shows a 3d fix.

=>If I remove the noselect, it does pickup the NEMA source but never gets
data from the pps source. Log entries never show up in refclock.

=>If I remove the lock NEMA then the pps source is seen and processed and
that's when I get the flapping where it selects first NEMA, the GPS refid
then falls into the majority sync error. This is a weird one as it won't
process the PPS if I lock it.  Does that have to do with the fact that the
PPS is from GPIO rather than serial?

Is there any logging or diagnostic tool usage I can try?  The refclock and
stats logs are lost on me.