Thanks for the suggestion. I've reworded the text a bit to cover the
possibility that the socket doesn't exist:

   This error indicates that chronyc sent the command to chronyd using a UDP
   socket instead of the Unix domain socket (e.g.
   /var/run/chrony/chronyd.sock), which is required for some commands.
   Normally, only the root and chrony users are allowed to access the socket.

   It is also possible that the socket doesn’t exist. chronyd will not create
   the socket if the directory has a wrong owner or permissions. In this case
   there should be an error message from chronyd in the system log.

This reads very good. +1 from me 😄  Go ahead.

Thanks one more time.

Jürgen