The problem is how do you know which server is serving "good time". The only
notion of time that chrony has is that which is delivered to it by the
servers. There is no other source of time. You order chrony to trust that
those two clocks give good time. But they may disagree, so you do not trust
them. They might be wrong. As Miroslav said, chrony uses distance as a criterion for deciding which server to use. So the fact that time-alt1 is far away is used to downrate it. even if all three are trusted.

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ un...@physics.ubc.ca
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/