Trying to understand why when using a GPS (without PPS support; less
than ideal) that the chronyd instance will not "synchronize"/talk when
using the `SOCK` reference clock type. Using a setup of chronyd and
gpsd, I can inspect that gpsd (via gpsmon) is receiving GPS
information; however, a call to `chronyc sources` shows that no
updates are getting through:

 MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
 #? SOC0                          0   4     0     -     +0ns[   +0ns] +/-    0ns

This is with using the following minimal reference clock configuration:

 refclock SOCK /run/chrony.ttyACM0.sock

If I switch to using a `SHM` type, such as follows:

 refclock SHM 0

chrony appears to be reporting sample updates over time:

 MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
 #? SHM0                          0   4     3    14    +46ms[  +46ms] +/-  261us

To sanity check my state, I switched to a Garmin GPS device with PPS
support using the following configuration:

 refclock SOCK /run/chrony.ttyUSB0.sock

And I can observe updates being tracked by chrony:

 MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
 #? SOC0                          0   4     1    22    -71ms[  -71ms] +/-   69us

Am I overlooking a possible setting that is needed for `SOCK` to
handle a pipe that will not get PPS updates? Or something else? Any
help is appreciated.

Other information:
- Confirming that in the usages of `SOCK` that chronyd is started
before gpsd is started.
- chrony version | 4.2 (+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC +PRIVDROP
+SCFILTER +SIGND +ASYNCDNS +NTS +SECHASH +IPV6 -DEBUG)
- gpsd version | 3.23.1
- Tested GPS device without (an exposed) PPS support | USB dongle
using a "u-blox 7 - GPS/GNSS Receiver" chipset.
- Tested GPS device with PPS support | Garmin 16X