Well, it depends. On most systems I have looked at RTC is worse than the
system clock at keeping time. Yours might be different. If it is worse then
just leaving the system to go ahead on its own time would be the better thing
to do. RTC is then reserved for shutdown and restart. I would certainly not
have RTC as a clock time. rtcsync is a terrible procedure at any time. It keeps the rtc at the system
time while the system time is running, but if the system time stops for some
reason rtc will go wandering off on its merry way and as I said, will
generally be worse than the system time left alone. Otherwise chrony will try
to measure the drift rate of the rtc and correct its reading of the rtc taking
the rtc drift into account. That is not necessarily great since if the
computer is switched off it is colder than if it is running, and the usual rtc
is quite temperature seneistive. Ie, its rate is different cold than warm, and
the drift rate calculated when warm is not the drift rate when cold ( but when
of course you cannot calibrate it since the computer is not running.

Of course if you have purchased a temperature controlled rtc for the RPI, then
it may well be better than computer clock, and your procedure might work.

Remember even if the gps is no longer supplying the signal, chrony has spent a
lot of time figuring out what the drift rate is of the clock and can keep
pretty good time.

( and why would your gps signal go down for a significant time? Are you using
your rpi underground somewhere?

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ un...@physics.ubc.ca