From: bli...@gmx.net [mailto:bli...@gmx.net]
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 04:51 PM
To: chuck-users@lists.cs.princeton.edu
Subject: Re: [chuck-users] Manual for Version 1.3 (?)

Thanks for the detailed answer and the links!

Well, seems my first impression was wrong ;-)

Gesendet: Freitag, 14. Oktober 2016 um 19:44 Uhr
Von: "Spencer Salazar" <spen...@ccrma.stanford.edu>
Betreff: Re: [chuck-users] Manual for Version 1.3 (?)
Yes, the manual is not very well maintained right now- I think most of its
content is still relevant to the language now, but small bits like how to
install are a little different. Other, more up-to-date resources for learning
include the language reference [1], which is not just a dry reference as the
name would suggest, but a mix of a walkthrough and reference, and our free
online video-based course [2], which is based on what we teach at California
Institute of the Arts. The examples are a great resource (included when you
install ChucK; go to File->Open Example in miniAudicle). Graham Coleman's
"Notes on ChucK for Music" is also a good tutorial [3] and Perry's ChucKU has a
lot of learning resources centralized in one place [4]. If you want to go a
little deeper, the ChucK book [5] costs money but has a few free sample

The individual who generously created and maintained the ChucK manual stepped
down some time ago. Producing and maintaining high-quality documentation is a
big job, and with all of the other resources available, the ChucK manual has
not been the top priority. That being said we would welcome pull requests to
ensure the manual is up-to-date, relevant, and useful (and actually there have
been a few such PRs recently).

In the last year we've been developing a number of major updates to the
language and ecosystem. I have been working on miniAudicle for iPad, a
tablet-oriented coding environment for ChucK, which is going into beta testing
very soon, and a number of individuals have recently contributed to our growing
collection of chugins [7]--its worth checking out the new ones for ChucK coders
who are looking for new stuff to play with. Small but impactful bits like more
informative exceptions have been developed (and are coming to a release soon).

[1] http://chuck.stanford.edu/doc/language/
[3] http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~gcoleman/chuck/tutorial/tutorial.html
[4] https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~prc/ChucKU/
[5] https://www.manning.com/books/programming-for-musicians-and-digital-artists
[6] https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/mini-ipad/
[7] https://github.com/ccrma/chugins

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 12:05 PM, <bli...@gmx.net> wrote:Is there a specific
reason, why the manual is only available for Version 1.2
(chuck.cs.princeton.edu/release/files/chuck_manual.pdf) and even this one is
hidden and not directly accessible, neither from chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/
nor chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/learn/ .

The first impression that I get from this is, that developers have lost their
interest in ChucK. Do you think this impression is true?

chuck-users mailing list

--Spencer Salazar
Doctoral Candidate
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford University

+1 831.277.4654