>From the amount of interest it has sparked, this seems to be indeed a
worthy topic; I’m now glad I began it. These are great comments so far, and
their greatest fascination for me is to see how and in what form many
people approach the life of this great man. I hope the others on this forum
will forgive me my habit of dipping in only on weekends, because to my
great regret weekdays deprive me of even the smallest chance to indulge in
Churchillian and other delightful fare.

It’s quite right, I think, to say that history is rarely so simple as to be
reducible to ‘superhero thwarted by dullards’ narratives. But Churchill (I
cannot think of anyone less suited to being pictured as an unnaturally
muscled individual with sloping brow, flashing teeth and coloured cape) at
his energetic best was much more impressive than an ordinary superhero, and
thwarted he certainly *was* – if one would read the numerous accounts of
the campaign with all its details exposed. As I said before, many accounts
are equally instructive, but I find that among the most readable and
consecutive of these are the accounts by William Manchester (*The Last Lion*),
Violet Bonham Carter (*Winston Churchill as I knew him*) and Michael
Shelden (*Young Titan*). Michael Shelden’s book is particularly
interesting, and illuminating far beyond even some of the best biographies
of Churchill that I have read (and I have read more than 30), and
meticulously researched. I shouldn’t spoil it for those who would like to
buy the book – which I can’t recommend too highly; but pages 306 to 322
cover the Dardanelles imbroglio with zest and superlative perspicuity, and
you couldn’t possibly rise from reading the book without realising how much
there was about Churchill that one hadn’t known before.

I think I’m inclined to agree with you, Chris Bell; 3 minutes is a
suspiciously short time to allot to something as climactic in the Churchill
record as the Dardanelles, and Martin Gilbert was hardly the man to
overlook this.

I don’t think I could disagree much with Jonathan, although I have grave
reservations about ‘not being able to fault Kitchener’ for his part in
depriving the campaign of troops, and supplying too little too late.
Michael Shelden is brilliant on this, as is William Manchester.  Violet
Bonham Carter, who had the almost unedited confidence of her father, Prime
Minister Asquith, expresses a perspective deeper and more intimate and
often more direct than any of the others, although her objectivity is
somewhat vitiated by her loyalty to Asquith - as concerns the special
sphere in which the Prime Minister's treatment of Winston bears on these
events when things began to go wrong. Also, his almost treacherous lack of
decisiveness is given scant exposure by his daughter, who not surprisingly
obfuscates it. For all that, hers is a tremendously valuable book; superbly
written, and *readable* in the extreme.

Violet makes it plain that Kitchener, after receiving an urgent appeal from
Grand Duke Nicholas for the British to make a naval or military
demonstration to draw off Turkish forces and ease the Russian position, had
then commended the Dardanelles as the decisive place for such a
‘demonstration’ to Winston Churchill on the one hand, and made a
corresponding pledge to Nicolas on the other. At the War Council on January
5 and 8th 2015, “Lord Kitchener once again expressed his preference for the
Dardanelles as an objective”, and Col Maurice Hankey, whose brainchild the
Dardanelles campaign had been originally, had minuted the practically
unanimous agreement of the War Council upon this. “It seems strange” she
writes, “that no one should have questioned the decision to ‘take the
Gallipoli Peninsula’ without troops when Lord Kitchener had estimated that
150,000 would be sufficient for that purpose and yet had made it clear that
no troops were available.” Later on, when troops became available for the
Middle East, Col Hankey expressed to Prime Minister Asquith his strong view
that naval operations should be supported by a military force; on February
16 the War Council agreed that the 29th division should be sent to Lemnos
as the foundation of the military attack on the Dardanelles. “But it was
not, alas, adhered to by Lord Kitchener”. The War Council did not accept
the doctrine that sending men to ‘chew barbed wire on the Western front was
the way to achieve victory, and Churchill was foremost among those who
deplored the carnage and waste intrinsic to the ‘Western school of
thought’.

At the request of Churchill, Asquith arranged an interview between Lord
Kitchener and Winston in his presence, where Winston asked Kitchener
whether he took full responsibility for the military operations and the
strength of the forces needed to achieve success. “Lord Kitchener had once
replied that he did and the Royal Naval division was handed over to his
command.”

On March 18 when the whole Allied fleet of 14 British and 4 French
battleships advanced to the Narrows and 3 battleships struck mines and
sank, Admiral de Robeck refused to move without the army and the naval
chiefs of staff refused to order him to renew the attack. Although Asquith
agreed with Winston and Kitchener that the Navy ought to make another big
push, he shrank from overruling the old Sea dogs. Sheldon is scathing on
Asquith’s handling of the war (quite deservedly), and leaves us in no doubt
as to how far he fell short of the qualities required of a wartime Prime
Minister. Lloyd George’s perfidy has an equally bright light shone upon it!

Although Roger Keyes had pleaded with Admiral de Robeck to reverse his
decision because waiting for the army would be fatal, the Admiral seemed to
be (as Asquith said) ‘in rather a funk’. If the 29th division had been sent
in February as originally intended, the landing of troops would have taken
place* before* the Turks had time to pour in reinforcements and cover the
Peninsula with a network of entrenchments. Within a day of the army’s
landing in Gallipoli on April 25, the slaughter began — on the beach where,
as Alan Moorhead writes, “the Marines walked in perfect safety 2 months
before”. Even then Kitchener continued complacent; but, writes Violet,
“Winston did not share Kitchener’s complacency. He was rightly disturbed by
our tremendous losses, and took Fisher with him to the War Office where
they both entreated Lord Kitchener to send immediate reinforcements from
Egypt. Lord Kitchener began by doubting whether these were needed, but he
yielded in the end and ordered an Indian Brigade and Territorial division
to be sent from Egypt…. Had they been made available for the landing they
would have been ready to follow up the advance on the 28th — when the
Turks, exhausted and discouraged, were retreating. Now Ian Hamilton was
obliged to wait until 6th May to start his new offensive. By then
opportunity had passed, and though we threw in all our forces we gained
only a few hundred yards. Trench warfare had begun.” There seems no doubt
about Kitchener’s role in the debacle.

Michael Shelden writes, “As the situation went from bad to worse in the
next few months, mistake after mistake was made, by both the Navy and
especially the army, which tried to clear Gallipoli of Turkish troops who
proved to be far more disciplined and determined than the British had been
willing to believe. Beginning on 25 April, Australian and New Zealand
troops joined…, and though both sides showed extraordinary bravery, they
found themselves bogged down in the same kind of stand-off that prevailed
on the Western Front. Tens of thousands died as the fighting dragged
through the rest of the year. The rugged terrain, harsh weather and
military incompetence turned Asquith’s ‘unique opportunity’ into one long
misadventure that did nothing to change the course of the war. The blame
for this tragic campaign was widely shared, but it was Churchill who was
made to pay the price of failure.…… This setback was so big that a suitably
big scapegoat was needed, and Winston was it. As soon as things began to go
wrong, little time was wasted in pointing the finger of blame in his
direction. It was in May 1915 that his colleagues and rivals began turning
on him. As Prime Minister, Asquith had been the one to decide that the risk
was worth taking. It was his responsibility to accept the consequences of
failure. But he evaded it, as did Kitchener, who mishandled the Gallipoli
campaign. As for Jackie Fisher, he would later pretend that he had been
opposed to the Dardanelles plan all along.”

Yes, as Jonathan says, “life isn’t fair”. In Churchill’s case over the
Dardanelles it was more than unfair; it was dastardly. The Dardanelles *was*
a *very good* idea; various military historians have considered it
brilliant. The only imaginative plan of the entire war, as Clement Attlee
wrote.

Sebastien Haffner wrote, “the strategic concept was grandiose. Turkey,
allied with Germany since October 1914, was relatively weak. The maritime
location of the capital, Constantinople, rendered it vulnerable to attack
by superior naval forces. If Constantinople fell, Turkey herself would
probably collapse. This would at least establish a secure sea route to
Russia, whose already depleted offensive strength could be restored by
means of massive arms shipments. In addition, however, Serbia was still
holding out, Bulgaria had yet to ally herself with Germany, and powerful
political forces in Greece and Rumania were ready to side with the Allies
if they won a victory in the region. The fall of Constantinople would
provide the awaited signal, and the Balkans would burst into flames like a
forest fire. From there, Austria could be brought to her knees, completely
isolating Germany and threatening her with a war on 3 fronts instead of 2!
This was strategy on a Napoleonic scale. It was also *made to measure for
Britain*, with her vast naval forces and small but efficient army – far
more suitable than the slow recruitment and training of immense armies
destined for insertion in the *bone-mill* operated by static battles on the
Western Front.

Also, it is incredible how swiftly the Little Men turned against Churchill.
He was the ablest and most courageous of them, but their littleness
paradoxically made them more powerful because they constituted the
majority. As Sebastien Haffner says: “Churchill had no real backers.
Kitchener was universally trusted and forgiven for all his failures.
Churchill, in contrast, was regarded as untried and undependable. He needed
successes in order to hold his ground, even with Prime Minister Asquith,
the ultimate authority, who initially let him have his head with a kind of
sceptical, amused benevolence – not unappreciative of his talent and
originality and not without hope, but also coolly prepared to drop him at
any time. Such was the position from which Churchill set out to direct the
First World War. He took no trouble to secure or reinforce that position,
and he upset his closest colleagues and assistants…. In their opinion, he
behaved as if he knew it all. They were not so wide of the mark: he did
indeed behave like that, but the tragicomic fact was *he really did know it
all*.”

Bob, I take your point about a work that presents ALL the evidence leaving
it up to the reader to form an opinion which is out of the hands of the
author. But in most cases, we *are* dealing with works that do *not *present
*all* the evidence; in fact most authors tend to present evidence
*selectively* to bolster their particular viewpoint. We are aware of this
essential characteristic of authors from the works of such as John
Charnley, David Irving etc. etc. Of course, Martin Gilbert is a million
miles away in the opposite direction from such folk as Charnley and his
tribe, but the point is that the BBC programme to which I refer presents
*anything
but* all the evidence, and is as tendentious and slanted as it can be on
the Dardanelles campaign – which is why I found it so baffling that it
could have originated from Martin Gilbert. If anything, he would be fully
aware of all the intricacies of the campaign from his voluminous research,
and to be made to appear as the presenter of such a partial and biased
account is a libel on the man. Of course, I cannot know what the terms of
his contract with the BBC were; but if ‘intellectual integrity’ counts for
anything, biased editing of a historian’s production should be
challengeable in court. I’m surprised that this did not happen. I am
grateful to Richard Langworth for the light he has thrown on this subject
(22nd of February). That is indeed the explanation that makes greatest
sense.

Richard, thank you for your caution about your recent book; I prefer to
wait until the hardback edition becomes available, and I look forward
extremely eagerly to reading it, as I do anything from your pen.

Grimsdyke