Sad indeed.  He leaves an amazing legacy.  Will be re-watching his
Churchill roles soon.

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting him and chatting briefly on board
HMS Warrior during the 2004 International Churchill Conference in
Portsmouth.  He gave a most delightful and interesting talk during the gala
dinner, much of it touching on his role in the recovery of the Henry VIII
naval ship 'Mary Rose' at Portsmouth Harbour where he was called in as an
archaeological expert.  Those in charge of the recovery and investigation
didn't realize he was the actor, they just wanted the Hardy chap who had
written the long bow book.

https://www.amazon.com/Longbow-Military-History-Robert-Hardy/dp/1852604123

Mike Campbell
Halifax, Nova Scotia