From: Richard Langworth
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2018 9:58 PM
To: ChurchillChat
Subject: [ChurchillChat] "The interpreter...has been shot...."

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 11:55:26 AM UTC-5, Jonathan Hayes wrote:
  There is a totally apocryphal story that I like.  Churchill woke up after a
"strenuous evening" with Stalin at the Kremlin.  He was horrified by his lack
of memory at what went on and hurriedly dictate a memo titled "this is my
recollection of what we discussed last night" and sent it over to Stalin. It
came back with a cover note from Stalin:  "I was drunk too.  The interpreter
has been shot."

Jonathan,
Ah, but it gets even better than that. I have this from grandson Winston
(1940-2010, R.I.P.):

"In 1942, as you know, my grandfather went to Moscow to tell Stalin there would
be no Second Front anytime soon. The conversation left both of them infuriated.
In the early 1990s, I happened to meet Mikhail Gorbachev’s interpreter. I’d
always wanted to know, I asked him, whether, in Soviet circles, there’s
anything to this story....

"Allegedly my grandfather, back at his embassy, never one to hold a grudge,
pens a private note to Stalin: 'The hour was late, we both said things we
regret,let us expunge it from the record and start again tomorrow.' And Stalin
supposedly replies, 'The hour was indeed late, we both said things we regret,
we shall start over, and the only witness to our conversation was the
interpreter…..who has been shot.'

“''That is a very amusing story,' said Mikhail Gorbachev’s interpreter…. 'But I
can assure you, Mr. Churchill, my father lived a long and productive life.'”

---
antivirus Avast.