On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 5:54:12 AM UTC-5, antcapet wrote:

> Churchill & Brexit again in today's Observer :
>

> https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/09/david-lammy-brexit-is-a-betrayal
>

> The Rt Hon David Lammy MP (Lab.-Tottenham) is an accomplished former
minister, and the Brexit debate is for Britons to decide. But Churchill's
views on Europe should not be misrepresented. They were that Britain, the
Commonwealth should be friendly and encouraging, but not integrated. From
the final Document Volume 23 of the official biography, to be published in
mid-2019:

Winston S. Churchill to Members of the Cabinet
(Cabinet papers, 129/48)
Secret
Cabinet Paper No. 32 of 1951

UNITED EUROPE
It may simplify discussion if I set forth briefly my own view and the line
I have followed so far.

1. At Zürich in 1946 I appealed to France to take the lead in Europe by
making friends with the Germans, ‘burying the thousand-year quarrel’, &c.
This caused a shock at the time but progress has been continual. I always
recognised that, as Germany is potentially so much stronger than France,
militarily and economically, Britain and if possible the United States
should be associated with United Europe, to make an even balance and to
promote the United Europe Movement.

2. As year by year the project advanced, the Federal Movement in many
European countries who participated became prominent. It has in the last
two years lost much of its original force. The American mind jumps much too
lightly over its many difficulties. I am not opposed to a European
Federation including (eventually) the countries behind the Iron Curtain,
provided that this comes about naturally and gradually. But I never thought
that Britain or the British Commonwealths should, either individually or
collectively, become an integral part of a European Federation, and have
never given the slightest support to the idea. We should not, however,
obstruct but rather favour the movement to closer European unity and try to
get the United States’ support in this work.