Only the Grief of the Children: Video/Text - A Must See

June 28, 2005

Only the Grief of the Children

Under the Same Sun reader Pesic asked for pictures of the banner that was unfurled inside the courtroom. It was not composed of, as it was sometimes reported, pictures only of Fallujah, but a compilation from around Iraq. I have some pictures of it, as well as a video of it being circled around the room. It's pretty hard stuff to look at, but there it is:

banner2.jpg

bannercloseupjpg.jpg

It was later placed on the street right outside the courtroom:

bannerstreetjpg.jpg

And the video can be found here. (It may be a bit slow in loading.)

Brendan Smith and I co-wrote a piece for Truthout about the Tribunal which can be found here. Here's how we described the moment the banner was brought in, as well as testimonies from that same panel:

Former US Air Force combat veteran Tim Goodrich stunned the jury by revealing his role in the "softening up" of Iraq months before the US declaration of war. "We were dropping bombs then, and I saw bombing intensify," Goodrich explained to a hushed room. "All the documents coming out now, the Downing Street memo and others, confirm what I had witnessed in Iraq. The war had already begun while our leaders were telling us that they were going to try all diplomatic options first."

Goodrich's testimony had just begun when a 75-foot banner prepared by the Iraqi delegation and composed of harrowing pictures of Iraqi child victims of the war was carried into the courtroom. In the presence of the father of one of the victims shown on the banner, Goodrich and others stood and a moment of silence spread through the room while the banner was carried through the hall. The teeming press contingent rushed to photograph the scene as some members of the audience cried.

Continued plus embedded links to article and VIDEO:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mparent7777/#entry_551306

Or

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mparent7777/551306.html

MARC PARENT
CRIMES AND CORRUPTIONS OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER NEWS
http://www.livejournal.com/~mparent7777/