There were no breached levees.
The levees of New Orleans survived just fine
It was walls of canals that broke.
Seawalls. Two or three feet of reinforced concrete with steel facings.

Two different canals, across town from each other suffered the same
improbable failure of two or three feet of reinforced concrete with
steel facings.

At the same time, mere blocks away from the canal blasts, shotgun worker
cottages, termite ridden and balanced on two feet of bricks without
foundation, they came through the hurricane just fine.

Why wouldn't they let the people out of the SuperDoom once the storm was
over?

These concrete and steel canal walls didn't "collapse" for nearly a day
after the storm passed.
They all "collapsed" near bridges for a quick getaway

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpgUKB/pzNLAA/cUmLAA/vseplB/TM