Begin forwarded message:

From: Eco Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: June 28, 2006 1:20:47 PM PDT
Subject: [ctrl] Videos. War Corporatism, The New Fascism.

Iraq war, Drug War, and more. Please forward widely. While you still can. :)
Google search for corporatism and war corporatism:
http://www.google.com/search?q=corporatism

Great video on Iraq war corporatism:

Flash video version here:

QuickTime video version here:

Another great video. This one is about  the drug war. Multiple video formats:

"Anyone concerned about the failure of our $69 billion-a-year War on Drugs should watch this 12-minute program. You will meet front line, ranking police officers who give us a devastating report on why it cannot work. It is a must-see for any journalist or public official dealing with this issue."
-- Walter Cronkite

It is a good video to download and to listen to in the background while surfing the web.

War Corporatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

War Corporatism is the belief that a country engaged in warfare for a considerable period creates a corporate reliance upon war. (Also referred to as the Military-industrial complex.) The arms and related industries therefore end up attempting to control the outbreak of war in order to increase profits for their shareholders, large investors, and top corporate executives. War corporatism implies that companies who reap the benefits of war will constantly fight to keep the economy on a war footing in order to continue to profit and balance the economics of society as a whole. People critical of the US arms industry claim that the United States has become a prime example of war corporatism as it has been involved in near-constant warfare in some part of the globe since 1950, and point to the close ties of the political and industrial elites in the US. The links between Vice-President Dick Cheney and Halliburton are often used as an example.

See also

Military-industrial complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Military-industrial complex

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term military-industrial complex (MIC) usually refers to the combination of the U.S. armed forces, arms industry and associated political and commercial interests, which grew rapidly in scale and influence in the wake of World War II. The term may also be used for militarism, in reference to any such business partnership between industry and military.

As pejorative terms, the "MIC" or the "Iron Triangle" refer to an institutionalised collusion among defense contractors (industry), The Pentagon (military), and the United States government (Congress, Executive branch), as being against the public interest, and driven by profiteering.

Origin

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction...
This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence — economic, political, even spiritual — is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.
In the penultimate draft of the address, Eisenhower initially used the term military-industrial-congressional complex, indicating the essential role that U.S. Congress plays in propagating the military industry. But, it is said, that the president chose to strike the word congressional in order to avoid offending members of the legislative branch of the federal government. The author of the term was Eisenhower's speech-writer Malcolm Moos.

Prison-industrial complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Prison-industrial complex

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
The prison-industrial complex refers to interest groups that represent organizations that do business in correctional facilities, like prison guard unions, construction companies, and surveillance technology vendors, who become more concerned with making more money than actually rehabilitating criminals or reducing crime rates. Additionally, some prisons provide free or low-cost labor for state or municipal governments as well as jobs for union members, which can be seen as another profitable side-benefit born from building and maintaining a large prison system.
Writing for The Atlantic Monthly in December 1998, Eric Schlosser said that "The prison-industrial complex is not only a set of interest groups and institutions. It is also a state of mind. The lure of big money is corrupting the nation's criminal-justice system, replacing notions of safety and public service with a drive for higher profits. The eagerness of elected officials to pass tough-on-crime legislation — combined with their unwillingness to disclose the external and social costs of these laws — has encouraged all sorts of financial improprieties."[1]

See also