Staining the Land Forever - NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF & Half of America even angrier at govt +
By NICHOLAS KRISTOF - The New York Times - Tuesday, Sep. 05, 2006
- Kristof: Stained Land - The Bush administration has made a systematic effort to increase the private exploitation of federal lands - Plus: Half of America angrier at government than ever before and more
OP-ED COLUMNIST
Staining the Land Forever
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: September 5, 2006

A highlight of my summers is the annual backpacking trips with my children. This year I took my youngest, who is 8, through 65 miles of the Oregon Cascades, giving her the chance to suffer mosquito bites, slip on snowfields, cross raging streams on rickety logs and enjoy other wilderness thrills.

She is now a confirmed backpacker, and we’ve decided that we’re going to hike together from Mexico to Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail — when we’re both grown up.

This wilderness and trail system is a legacy of past presidents, beginning with Teddy Roosevelt. There aren’t many ways in which our lives today are shaped by a president who governed more than a century ago — or in which President Bush will affect our grandchildren’s grandchildren in the 22nd century — but wilderness policy is one.

Until now, the pattern has been for presidents of both parties to expand protections of natural areas, with a bipartisan record of adding to national forests and other protected areas. Mr. Bush has also added to the wilderness system here and there, but at a broader level he has reversed the trend by leading a stealth campaign to tilt the balance toward development.
Continued:
http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/12046059.html

Britain Is One Of "The Most Corrupt Countries," Says Economist
http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/12039005.html

Best Katrina Commentary Ever
http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/12045315.html

Half of America angrier at government than ever before; one-third believe government behind 9/11
http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/12037344.html

And More on Today's Newswire
http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/2006/09/05/

MARC PARENT

CRIMES AND CORRUPTIONS OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER NEWS
http://mparent7777.livejournal.com/ Homepage
http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/14409 Archived
http://www.dailykos.com/user/ccnwon Archived

MARC PARENT
CRIMES AND CORRUPTIONS OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER NEWS

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail __._,_.___

Independent broker dealer Independent director Central intelligence agency
Central intelligence agency employment

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS