The timing pre-empts the news that Venezuela has surpassed Saudi Arabia
as world's biggest oil source. Rev. Pat Robertson really needed this
discovery.

And it's in sedimentary rock, so we can continue to believe in fossil
fuel, despite Swedish and Canadian and Russian and Vietnamese oil and
gas production from basement rock.

Maybe the Cubans were planning to have China drill in basement rock.

The oil companies actually put it in contracts with exploration
scientists that they can't tell people they and the vast majority of
their peers don't believe it's fossil fuel.

-Bob

--- In cia-drugs@yahoogroups.com, "mark urban" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> between what is in the caribbean and alaska, the usa does not need an
> ounce of foreign oil to meet its needs. so much geopolitics and
> societal control is mixed up in the oil business that it just sickens
> me. prudhoe bay is nothing compared to kruparak and gull island.
>
> do you really think the oil companies just out of the blue discovered
> so much oil? no way! they've been sitting on this for years.
>
> the politics at play is so pathetic that a child can see through it,
> yet we just keep lapping this shit up.
>

>   --- In cia-drugs@yahoogroups.com, "muckblit" muckblit@ wrote:
> >
> > another article
> >
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
> dyn/content/article/2006/09/05/AR200609\
> > 0500275_pf.html
> >
> > U.S. Oil Reserves Get a Big Boost
> > Chevron-Led Team Discovers Billions of Barrels in Gulf of Mexico's
> Deep
> > Water
> >
> > By Steven Mufson
> > Washington Post Staff Writer
> > Wednesday, September 6, 2006; D01
> >

> > An oil discovery by Chevron Corp. has bolstered prospects that
> petroleum
> > companies will be able to tap giant reserves that lie far beneath
> the
> > deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
> >
> > Oil analysts and company executives said newly released test results
> > from a well 175 miles off the coast of Louisiana indicate that the
> oil
> > industry will be able to recover well more than 3 billion barrels,
> and
> > perhaps as much as 15 billion barrels, of oil from a geological area
> > known as the lower tertiary trend, making it the biggest addition to
> > U.S. petroleum reserves in decades. The upper end of the estimate
> could
> > boost U.S. reserves by 50 percent.
> >
> > "This looks to be the biggest discovery in the United States in a
> > generation, really since the discovery of Prudhoe Bay 38 years ago,"
> > said Daniel Yergin, chairman of the consulting firm Cambridge Energy
> > Research Associates Inc. "There's been a lot of anticipation about
> > what's called the Wilcox formation, and this is the validation of
> the
> > theory and of the technology," he said, using another name for the
> area
> > of the Gulf.
> >
> > Cambridge Energy forecasts that the deep-water area of the Gulf of
> > Mexico will produce 800,000 barrels of oil a day within seven years
> and
> > account for 11 percent of U.S. oil production. That would not solve
> the
> > world's energy problem or eliminate U.S. reliance on oil imports,
> but it
> > would help stabilize U.S. oil production, which has been declining,
> and
> > cover some of the world's rising demand for petroleum. Prudhoe Bay,
> in
> [...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional