Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: December 18, 2006 9:18:40 AM PST
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: It's Your Party, You Can Cry If You Want To

Barr switches to Libertarian Party
12/17/2006
http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/index.php? s=&url_channel_id=32&url_article_id=22731&url_subchannel_id=&change_we ll_id=2

The man who John Linder knocked out of politics during a Republican primary four years ago has now switched parties.

Bob Barr, who served in Congress for eight years before redistricting placed him in a battle with Linder, announced Friday that he has become a Libertarian.

‘‘It’s something that’s been bothering me for quite some time, the direction in which the (Republican) party has been going more and more toward big government and disregard toward privacy and civil liberties,’’ Barr said in an Associated Press interview. ‘‘In terms of where the country needs to be going to get back to our constitutional roots. ... I’ve come to the conclusion that the only way to do that is to work with a party that practices what it preaches, and that is the Libertarian Party.’’

Barr said he has no plans to run for future office. But in his new role as the Libertarian Party’s regional representative for the South, he will be active in promoting the party’s message and recruiting candidates.

‘‘Bob Barr’s willingness to serve as a leader of the Libertarian Party represents a significant and positive development for our organization,’’ said national party Chairman William Redpath. ‘‘The antiquated two-party system was dealt a blow today as we have welcomed a patriotic statesman.’’