The 2006 Agricultural
Identification Survey and
the NASS/NAIS Identity

By Mary Zanoni, Ph.D., J.D.

January 20, 2007

Like many small-farm advocates, I have been fielding questions over the past
few weeks about the above survey being sent out by the National Agricultural
Statistics Service (NASS). Many people ask if there is any relationship between
the survey and the data being collected (often without the knowledge or consent
of farmers) for the National Animal Identification System (NAIS). As we shall
see, although USDA personnel won't admit it, NASS data is the foundation of the
USDA's aggressive pursuit of NAIS.

To my great surprise, in this morning's mail I myself received a 2006
Agricultural Identification Survey (2006 AIS). I say "to my great surprise,"
because I am not, and never have been, engaged in any type of commercial
agriculture whatsoever. I have never before received any type of communication
from NASS.

The envelope states in very large letters, "YOUR RESPONSE IS REQUIRED BY LAW."
The envelope further states that the due date is January 29, 2007. As explained
below, it is clear that many people receiving this form are not in fact
"REQUIRED BY LAW" to answer it. Further, a recipient has only a couple of weeks
between the receipt of the form and the purported deadline, and it would be
impossible for the average non-lawyer to do enough research within that time to
figure out whether he/she is or isn't actually required to respond.

The form itself begins with several general questions, such as Do you own or
rent any land? Do you grow vegetables, hay, or nursery stock? Do you receive
government payments? The questions appear deliberately designed to imply that
anyone who would answer "yes" is among those "REQUIRED BY LAW" to fill out this
form. The USDA is thus casting a very wide net in this particular intrusion
into the lives of American citizens, because, frankly, just about everyone who
is not homeless owns or rents real estate; some 75 million people in the United
States grow vegetables; and some 60 million people receive government payments.
(See 2007 Statistical Abstract of the United States, Table 1226 (vegetable
gardening); Table 528 (government transfer payments).)

Now, perhaps it is possible that this wide net might not be as intrusive as it
appears. After all, maybe NASS has only sent this form to people reasonably
assumed to be farmers. But, in fact, it was distressingly easy to confirm that
intrusiveness and deliberate over-inclusiveness are the hallmarks of the NASS
approach. This morning, I called the information number listed on the form, and
spoke to a woman at the USDA's Helena, Montana, call center. According to her,
the call center is being swamped with calls from people who live in cities, and
have nothing to do with agriculture. She stated that the call center employees
really have no idea of why or how all these people have been sent the 2006 AIS.
When asked for some conjecture as to how so many unnecessary people could have
been included in the mailings, the woman explained that, for example, anyone
who had ever subscribed to a horse magazine might have been included in the
database.

Now, that raises interesting questions. How is the USDA/NASS getting the
subscription lists of horse magazines? Why and how are horse magazines, or, for
that matter, any rural-life publication, any breed association, feed store, or
private or public livestock or horticultural enterprise whatsoever, giving
their member/subscriber/customer lists to the government without telling their
members, subscribers, or customers?

Or, worse yet, how is the government accessing such lists or databases without
the awareness of the businesses or organizations in question? During times when
the Executive Branch of the United States Government has secretly gathered the
records of most people's incoming and outgoing phone calls, and the President
asserts a right to open your mail and my mail without a warrant, this is not a
trivial question.

Returning to the first page of the form, we see the wide net growing ever
wider. The form states:

  Many people who don't consider themselves farmers or ranchers actually meet
the definition of a farm or ranch and are important to agriculture. We need
your completed form, even though you may not be actively farming, ranching, or
conducting any other type of agricultural activity.

Finally, the first page of the form reinforces the threat of the REQUIRED BY
LAW language of the envelope:

Response to this survey is legally *required* by Title 7, U.S. Code. (Emphasis
in original.) (Note the single-double quotation marks (on the form) the threat
actually is in quotation marks, employing that common tenth-grade stylistic
conceit of quoting something to make it appear extra-important.) One senses
evasions aplenty here - the form has referred to the definition of a farm or
ranch, but nowhere tells us that definition. It suggests that anyone receiving
a form has a legal obligation to answer it, even though their enterprise may
not meet the definition of a farm.

Given the foregoing ambiguities, I had further questions about the definition
of a farm, and the possible legal penalties for not responding to the 2006 AIS.
Specifically, I asked if my understanding of the definition of farm as an
operation with at least $1,000 in sales from agriculture was correct. (See 2002
Census of Agriculture, FAQs.) Further, having found the penalty listed in 7 USC
2204g (d) (2), namely, that a person ... who refuses or willfully neglects to
answer a question ... shall be fined not more than $100, I noted that, insofar
as the 2006 AIS actually contains 42 separate questions, it could be important
to know whether there was a separate $100 fine for each unanswered question, or
just a single $100 fine for not answering the entire 2006 AIS. These questions
were beyond the purview of the call-center woman, so she made a note of the
questions, referred them to a member of the NASS professional staff, and
promised that the NASS staff member would call me with the answers.

The next day, January 12, 2007, I received a call from Jody Sprague, a NASS
statistician. First, we addressed the question of the farm definition. Ms.
Sprague conceded that someone whose property or operation did not meet the farm
definition would have no obligation to answer the 2006 AIS. She also conceded
that the basic definition of a farm as an operation with at least $1,000 in
agricultural sales was correct, but explained that in addition to the gross
sales figures, NASS also assigns certain point values for particular
agricultural activities. If the points add up to 1,000, your operation would
meet the definition of a farm. When asked for an example of how the point
values work, Ms. Sprague explained that 5 equines would equal a farm, but 4
would not. (Subsequently, she explained that each equine equals 200 points.)
When asked how many cattle equal a farm, Ms. Sprague said she did not know. At
one point Ms. Sprague said that NASS wanted, through the 2006 AIS, to determine
if they could delete people who should not be on their mailing list. But for
the most part, she contended the opposite, e.g., that she would advise anyone
who had received the form to fill it out; and that even a person with one horse
should complete the questionnaire, although she previously had conceded that
someone with fewer than 5 horses would not meet the definition of a farm, and
therefore would not be required to fill out the survey.

We next turned to the issue of how NASS may have compiled its mailing list for
the 2006 AIS. First, Ms. Sprague maintained that the sources of the NASS
mailing list are confidential. I noted the call-center woman's reference to a
subscription to a horse magazine as a source of names, and asked for some other
possible sources. Ms. Sprague said that growers' associations, such as the
Wheat Growers Association and Barley Growers Association, were examples of
sources. I asked for more examples, but she was reluctant to give any, claiming
that some are confidential, and some are not confidential. She explained the
overall process of list building thus: as NASS comes across lists where there
are possibilities of agricultural activity, NASS incorporates those names into
its mailing list.

We returned to the subject of point values for different livestock. Explaining
that many people were likely to have questions about this, I asked if Ms.
Sprague could find out for me the point values of cattle or other non-equine
livestock. She put me on hold for a long while. Subsequently, she gave me the
following point values: beef cattle, 310 points per head; dairy cattle, 2,000
points per head; goats and sheep, 50 points per head. (I wanted to ask about
chickens, but I was getting the distinct sense that I might be pushing my luck.)

Ms. Sprague stressed that she did not want people to be concentrating on the
point values. For example, she noted that people should not say they have 4
horses if they really have 5 horses, because it wouldn't be ethical. (But
apparently under the NASS moral code, rummaging through some of those
Choicepoint-type consumer profiles to track your reading habits is perfectly
ethical. And, as we shall see, the NASS moral code also permits forking over
your data to states that are in hot pursuit of the NAIS premises-registration
quotas imposed as a condition for the state's continued receipt of federal NAIS
grant money.)

We went on to the question of the $100 non-compliance fine. Ms. Sprague assured
me that a farmer's failure to answer any or all of the 42 total questions on
the 2006 AIS would only result in a single $100 fine. She also said that the
fine is rarely enforced, and that if any producer chooses not to report, no one
from NASS would seek them out.

Finally, I asked Ms. Sprague if there were any relationships between NASS and
the APHIS/NAIS program, and she said, "Absolutely none." I asked her if any
other agency, state or federal, would ever be allowed to use NASS's database to
solicit premises IDs for NAIS, and she said, "Absolutely not." And indeed,
pursuant to 7 U.S.C. 2204g (f) (3), Information obtained [for NASS surveys] may
not be used for any purpose other than the statistical purposes for which the
information is supplied.

Several weeks ago, Missouri anti-NAIS activist Doreen Hannes sent a series of
questions about Missouri's solicitation of NAIS premises IDs to Steve Goff,
DVM, the Animal ID Administrator of the Missouri Department of Agriculture
(MDA). Dr. Goff provided written answers on December 20, 2006. When asked where
the MDA had obtained addresses for its solicitation of NAIS premises IDs, Dr.
Goff stated: "the mailing was done through a contract with the USDA National
Agricultural Statistics Service."

I won't answer my 2006 Agricultural Information Survey. Instead, I will send a
copy of this article to my Congressman and my two United States Senators. I
will ask them to have the House and Senate Agriculture Committees investigate
the rampant and shameful abuses of federal law and common morality inherent in
NASS's compilation of its mailing lists, and use of those lists to promote the
APHIS National Animal Identification System. Why will I do this? Because I
don't live by the USDA's false code of ethics; I answer to a higher authority.

Mary Zanoni can be reached by email.

http://www.freedom.org/news/200701/20/zanoni.phtml

~~~

Beware of the USDA and your State Dept. of Agriculture

By Henry Lamb

January 24, 2007

Calvin and Carol Whittaker live in one of the most beautiful parts of Idaho, a
little Northwest of Idaho Falls, in the community of Leadore (pronounced “lead
ore” because it was a mining town when it was named). They have lived in the
area all their lives, as did their parents. They have operated a ranch for
nearly half a century, as did their parents. And they have been productive,
law-abiding citizens.

Several months ago, Carol heard about a National Animal Identification System
that would require registration of their ranch into a federal database, and the
numbering of their livestock, and reporting of any movement of their livestock
off their premises. The more she and Calvin learned about the program, the more
they opposed it.

Last May, they received a notice from the Idaho Brand Board that it was time to
renew their brand with the state. Calvin completed the forms and returned them
to the Department of Agriculture Brand Board. A few weeks later, Carol received
a card from the Idaho Department of Agriculture with a 15-digit identification
number saying that their premises had now been registered with the National
Animal Identification System.

John Chatburn, Deputy Administrator of the Division of Animal Identification
for the Idaho Department of Agriculture says that the state of Idaho no longer
registers ranches into the NAIS without the owner’s knowledge. He admitted that
early on, a former State Veterinarian had signed up people without their
knowledge, but that the Veterinarian was no longer employed by the state, and
that the practice had ended.

Chatburn was familiar with the Whittaker situation. He said the Brand Board
sent both a brand renewal form, and a premises identification registration form
in the same envelope, and that the Whittakers had registered their premises
voluntarily. The Whittakers said they were shocked when they received their
registration number, and had no idea that they had registered in the NAIS
program.

Carol contacted the Department of Agriculture and asked to have their premises
removed from the registration. She was told that it was impossible to remove a
premises once it was registered. Chatburn confirmed that the USDA’s number
allocation system has no provision for removing a premises once it has been
registered. Even if the ranch or farm is sold to a developer, and the land is
converted to hotels and apartment buildings, the land still carries the
premises identification number assigned by the NAIS.

USDA boasts that 349,000 premises have been registered. No one can say how many
of those registrations occurred without the owner’s knowledge. Chatburn says
that, in Idaho, there are between 15,000 and 20,000 premises registered, but
again, no one in Idaho knows how many were registered without the owner’s
knowledge.

Chatburn says that although he knows of no way a premises registration can be
removed from the NAIS database, he says an owner may request that the premises
registration be “deactivated.” He says the procedure is simply to notify the
state Department of Agriculture, and ask that the request be advanced to the
USDA.

The NAIS was introduced in April, 2005, as a voluntary program that would
become mandatory, beginning in 2007, with premises registration, and then
mandatory animal tagging with a government-assigned number in 2008, and
finally, mandatory reporting of any movement of livestock animals off their
premises within 24 hours, by 2009.

This program was supported by most of the national livestock associations and
manufacturers of the technology required to implement the program. The American
Farm Bureau Association was a strong supporter.

When the program became public, however, individual livestock owners rebelled,
and formed organizations to oppose the program. The USDA had to modify the
program by issuing a new “Strategy for the Implementation of NAIS” in April of
2006. Opposition continued to mount, and the USDA had to issue a new
publication in June, 2006, saying that the program was voluntary, and would
remain voluntary. And the American Farm Bureau Association had to change its
policy from support for a “mandatory” program, to support for a “voluntary”
program, at its annual convention this month.

The USDA is handing out money to states that are working to implement the NAIS
at the state level. Wisconsin and Michigan, so far, have made the program
mandatory. Other states are finding that grassroots opposition has encouraged
state legislatures to prohibit a mandatory NAIS. Virginia, Massachusetts,
Washington, Indiana, Michigan, Texas and others, have introduced legislation to
prohibit a mandatory program.

There is no legislation pending in Idaho; the program there is purely
administrative, at the behest of the USDA, which has given the state more than
$1 million, according to Chatburn. At press time, The USDA had not yet
confirmed Chatburn’s belief that a registration can be “deactivated” if the
owner requests it. Carol and Calvin Whittaker are still wondering how they got
registered for the NAIS, when they thought they were simply renewing their
brand. They still oppose NAIS, and are working every day to get free of the
unintended registration, and to warn all their friends and neighbors to beware
of anything received in the mail from the USDA, or the state Department of
Agriculture.

See biography for Henry Lamb

http://www.freedom.org/news/200701/24/lamb.phtml