----- Original Message -----
From: Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:26 AM
Subject: [GATA] Malaysia shifts away from dollar, prime minister says

      Malaysia shifts away from dollar, prime minister says

Submitted by cpowell on 08:26AM ET Saturday, January 27, 2007. Section: Daily
Dispatches
By John Fraher and Adrian Cox
Bloomberg News Service
Saturday, January 27, 2007

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601170&sid=avaFUiaR9Dpo&refer=h...

Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said his country has shifted
some of its $82 billion of currency reserves away from the dollar and that
potential foreign-exchange volatility may hurt exporters.

"We're concerned for the reason that the high percentage of our international
trade is in U.S. dollars," Abdullah said today in an interview in Davos,
Switzerland at the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum. When asked
whether Malaysia will cut its dollar holdings, he said: "We have already. We'll
continue to watch the situation."

Abdullah's comments reflect concern that lopsided trade flows between the U.S.
and the rest of the world will weaken the dollar. The U.S. currency has dropped
6 percent against the euro in the past year. Kuwaiti Finance Minister Bader
al-Humaidhi said on Jan. 24 that the third-largest Arab oil producer may
abandon the dinar's peg against the dollar in favor of a basket.

Malaysia's central bank abandoned a peg to the dollar in July 2005 and manages
it against an undisclosed basket of currencies. The ringgit has advanced 0.7
percent against the dollar this year, climbing to a nine-year high this month
and trailing only the Icelandic krona as the world's best performing currency.

"Overdependence on one currency can create a problem, the dollar or any other
currency," said Abdullah. He declined to comment further on the country's
foreign exchange policy or his favored currencies.

Central bank Governor Zeti Akhtar Aziz in November declined to comment on
whether Malaysia was diversifying its reserves.

Abdullah also called on U.S. and European ministers meeting in Davos today to
unblock stalled World Trade Organization talks on dismantling trade barriers.

"The U.S. and the Europeans have a very important role to play," he said. "A
lot of things are stuck here because of these giants. If we can't have it
globally, then people do it bilaterally or multilaterally."

* * *

Help Keep GATA Going

GATA is a civil rights and educational organization based in the United States
and tax-exempt under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code. Its e-mail dispatches are
free, and you can subscribe at www.GATA.org. GATA is grateful for financial
contributions, which are federally tax-deductible in the United States.
Contact GATA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee
7 Villa Louisa Road
Manchester, Connecticut
06043-7541 USA

www.gata.org

Recommended Sites
Recommended Internet sites for daily monitoring of gold and precious metals
news and analysis.

Free sites:

http://www.jsmineset.com

http://www.cbs.marketwatch.com

http://www.mineweb.com/

http://www.gold-eagle.com/

http://www.kitco.com/

http://www.usagold.com/

http://www.usagold.com/amk/usagoldmarketupdate.html

http://www.GoldSeek.com/

http://www.GoldReview.com/

http://www.capitalupdates.com/

http://www.DailyReckoning.com

http://www.goldenbar.com/

http://www.silver-investor.com

http://www.thebulliondesk.com/

http://www.sharelynx.com/

http://www.mininglife.com/

http://www.financialsense.com

http://www.goldensextant.com

http://www.goldismoney.info/index.html

http://www.howestreet.com

http://www.depression2.tv

http://www.moneyfiles.org/

http://www.howestreet.com

http://www.minersmanual.com/minernews.html

http://www.a1-guide-to-gold-investments.com/euro-vs-dollar.html

http://www.goldcolony.com

http://www.miningstocks.com

http://www.mineralstox.com

http://www.freemarketnews.com

http://www.321gold.com

http://www.SilverSeek.com

http://www.investmentrarities.com

http://www.kereport.com

(Korelin Business Report -- audio)

http://www.plata.com.mx/plata/home.htm

(In Spanish)

http://www.plata.com.mx/plata/plata/english.htm

(In English)

http://www.resourceinvestor.com

http://www.miningmx.com

http://www.prudentbear.com

http://www.dollarcollapse.com

http://www.kitcocasey.com

http://000999.forumactif.com/

http://www.golddrivers.com/

http://www.goldpennystocks.com/

http://www.oroyfinanzas.com/

Subscription sites:

http://www.lemetropolecafe.com/

http://www.goldinsider.com/

http://www.hsletter.com

http://www.interventionalanalysis.com

http://www.investmentindicators.com/

http://www.caseyresearch.com/

Eagle Ranch discussion site:

http://os2eagle.net/SSL/phpentry.php

Ted Butler silver commentary archive:

http://www.investmentrarities.com/

Recommended Gold & Bullion Dealers
Coin and precious metals dealers who have supported GATA
and been recommended by our members:

Blanchard & Co. Inc.
909 Poydras St., Suite 1900
New Orleans, Louisiana 70112
888-413-4653
http://www.blanchardonline.com

Centennial Precious Metals
Box 460009
Denver, Colorado 80246-0009
1-800-869-5115
http://www.USAGOLD.com
Michael Kosares, Proprietor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Colorado Gold
222 South 5th St.
Montrose, Colorado 81401
http://www.ColoradoGold.com
Don Stott, Proprietor
1-888-786-8822
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

El Dorado Discount Gold
Box 11296
Glendale, Arizona 85316
http://www.eldoradogold.net
Harvey Gordin, President
Office: 623-434-3322
Mobile: 602-228-8203
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Gold & Silver Investments Ltd.
Mespil House
37 Adelaide Rd
Dublin 2
Ireland
+353 1 2315260/6
Fax: +353 1 2315202
http://www.goldinvestments.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Investment Rarities Inc.
7850 Metro Parkway
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55425
http://www.gloomdoom.com
Greg Westgaard, Sales Manager
1-800-328-1860, Ext. 8889
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kitco
178 West Service Road
Champlain, N.Y. 12919
Toll Free:1-877-775-4826
Fax: 518-298-3457
and
620 Cathcart, Suite 900
Montreal, Quebec H3B 1M1
Canada
Toll-free:1-800-363-7053
Fax: 514-875-6484
http://www.kitco.com

Lee Certified Coins
P.O. Box 1045
454 Daniel Webster Highway
Merrimack, New Hampshire 03054
http://www.certifiedcoins.com
Ed Lee, Proprietor
1-800-835-6000
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Lone Star Silver Exchange
Suite 635, 3521 Oak Lawn Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75219
214-632-8869
http://www.discountsilverclub.com

MRCS Canada
12303-118 Ave. NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5L 2K2
Canada
http://www.mrcscanada.com
Michael Riedel, Proprietor
1-877-TRY-MRCS
1-877-879-6727
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Miles Franklin Ltd.
1001 Twelve Oaks Center Drive
Suite 1028
Wayzata, MN 55391
1-800-822-8080
http://www.milesfranklin.com
Contacts: David Schectman,
Andy Schectman, and Bob Sichel

Missouri Coin Co.
11742 Manchester Road
St. Louis, MO 63131-4614
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
314-965-9797
1-800-280-9797
http://www.mocoin.com

Resource Consultants Inc.
6139 South Rural Road
Suite 103
Tempe, Arizona 85283-2929
Pat Gorman, Proprietor
1-800-494-4149, 480-820-5877
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.buysilvernow.com

Swiss America Trading Corp.
15018 North Tatum Blvd.
Phoenix, Arizona 85032
http://www.swissamerica.com
Dr. Fred I. Goldstein, Senior Broker
1-800-BUY-COIN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Moneychanger
Box 178
Westpoint, Tennessee 38486
http://www.the-moneychanger.com
Franklin Sanders
1-888-218-9226, 931-766-6066

You are subscribed to the GATA Dispatch mailing list. You can instantly
unsubscribe from these emails by clicking here.
Copyright © 1999-2006 All rights reserved.