Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: March 16, 2007 4:00:31 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: It HAS Happened Here

"It CAN Happen Here: Authoritarian Peril in the Age of Bush"
By Joe Conason

BuzzFlash.com's Review (excerpt) from a Daily Kos Book Review by Susan G:

"Joe Conason has hit upon an elegant solution on which to hang a very American narrative by reviving interest in Sinclair Lewis’ disturbingly prescient "It Can’t Happen Here," written in 1935 as a response to Lewis’ concern about the rise of Italian fascism....

"Lewis’ novel, centers on the rise of Buzz Windrip to the presidency, a man who, in Conason’s words, is "a charismatic politician with little intellectual curiosity but great capacity to appeal to the regular guy." Guided by a former advertising maven, Lee Sarason, Windrip campaigns – and wins – through a platform of a "syrupy compassion for the white, Christian, middle-class family while proclaiming a staunch moral and patriotic conservatism." Soon after taking office, he proclaims a permanent state of emergency based on an economic downturn and relegates Congress to an advisory body, stacks the courts with pliant hacks and dismantles constitutional protections as a "dangerous barrier to executive action," according to Conason....

"If we don’t want IT to happen here, this is a book that should be purchased, read and passed on. It’s a serious, focused and well- reasoned call to awakening for American citizens, and the Lord only knows how many more of these kinds of works we will need to rally our nation back to democracy. Conason’s book is one of the best places I can envision a start on that work."

Ever since BuzzFlash read the eye-opening "The Hunting of the President: The Ten Year Campaign to Destroy Bill and Hillary Clinton" (which Conason co-wrote with the inimitable Gene Lyons), we have considered him among the first rank of political analysts who cut to the chase.

For the editor of BuzzFlash, "The Hunting of the President" was a galvanizing book that documented, not just speculated upon, a well- funded right wing conspiracy to remove from office a duly-elected president of the United States, Bill Clinton. The book tracked a ten-year trail -- which included obscure figures in Arkansas and mega-wealthy financiers -- that concluded in the Ken Starr pursuit of a way to frame Bill Clinton into committing a legal error that could be technical grounds for impeachment.

During the Bush years, Conason has been one of the most level- headed and consistently insightful journalists exposing the vast betrayals, deceits, and crimes of the Bush Administration.

He is not an alarmist; he just calls the shots as he seems them.

And right now, he reveals in "It Can Happen Here" that democracy is hanging by a thread.

Joe Conason writes for Salon.com and has written a popular political column for The New York Observer since 1992. He is the author of Big Lies, The Raw Deal, and, with Gene Lyons, The Hunting of the President. His writing has appeared in The New Yorker, Harper’s, The Nation, and many other publications. He is a regular commentator on Air America Radio.

Review by Matt Browner Hamlin of "My Left Nutmeg" Blog:

"Conason's 'It Can Happen Here' succeeds in reaching both the blogger and non-blogger audience in a way that I have rarely seen over the last few years. 'It Can Happen Here' addresses the question posed by Sinclair Lewis in his 1935 dystopia 'It Can't Happen Here: Can Totalitarianism Come to America?'

"Sinclair Lewis's book includes the famous line, "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Conason makes the case that the question Lewis asked seventy-two years ago needs to be asked again today."

"Conason closes his book, "Yes, it CAN happen here. Whether it ever will depends on our determination to defend our rights, our liberties, and our democratic inheritance, not only for ourselves but for generations to come." I would add that our willingness to confront the sad, scary realities of what the actions of our government say about our current state of freedom, as Conason has done in this book, will also determine whether or not authoritarianism does happen here."

"It CAN Happen Here: Authoritarian Peril in the Age of Bush"
St. Martin's Press/Thomas Dunne Books
256 pages
Size: 6 1/8 x 9 1/4
Pub Date: 02/2007