I am aware that this has little to do with the drug war (except another
possible prohibited substance), the prison situation, free speech (well, maybe
free speech), world peace or constitutional law, but considering that lung
cancer could easily affect you or someone you love, perhaps you can graciously
overlook the fact that I'm off topic again and do something simple but wise for
our future health.
Kay Lee

Petition for the Lung Cancer Aliance
http://www.lungcanceralliance.org/involved/sign_the_petition.php

LUNG CANCER IS THE #1 CAUSE OF CANCER DEATH ANNUALLY AND HAS THE LEAST
FUNDING!!!! Perhaps it's because, as part of the tobacco demonization effort,
we have come to believe that people who use tobacco deserve cancer? Please show
some compassion and common sense...not all people who die from lung cancer ever
used tobacco... Just as not all people who use tobacco ever get lung cancer.
This killer disease requires more funding, more research, and more effective
treatments.
Lung cancer continues to be the single biggest cancer killer. In 2006, an
estimated 162,460 will die of lung cancer; more people than breast, prostate,
colon, liver, melanoma, and kidney cancers combined. Few people are even aware
that lung cancer kills three times as many men as prostate cancer, and nearly
twice as many women as breast cancer. Prostate cancer has a 99 percent 5-year
survival rate and breast cancer has an 88 percent 5-year survival rate.

Over 50 percent of new lung cancer cases will be diagnosed at a very late
stage?Stage IIIb or IV. Lung cancer has a 5-year survival rate of only 15
percent. That means that 85 percent of people who get lung cancer die within
five years.

THIS MUST BE CHANGED.

Join the 14757 people who have already signed or downloaded the petition to
make lung cancer a national public health priority.

I join with the Lung Cancer Alliance to call on the President of the United
States and members of Congress to increase funding to at least an additional
250 million dollars per year, for: medical research for early detection and
curative treatment for lung cancer, and education and support for people
diagnosed with lung cancer.

We, the undersigned, call on the President of the United States and the
Congress to make early detection, treatment, and chemoprevention of lung cancer
a national public health priority.

We also call for adequate new funding to increase the overall 5-year survival
rate to at least 50 percent by 2015.

SIGN THE PETITION and Please pass this on.
http://www.lungcanceralliance.org/involved/sign_the_petition.php