Speaker Pelosi would like for us to watch her House Call Monday Morning on
Cspan1, if you can't be there, then please tape it on your vcr or tivo.  I
think you will really like this agenda and many of us have been waiting to hear
these things, also there will be gavel discussions.

  I am really pleased so far with this terrific Lady Speaker and Our
Congressional Members who have shown great courage, integrity and the wish to
restore our government with American Ideas and Ideals.  We have a lot going on
in this country, and we must be vigilant and do our share to make it possible.

  I am really looking forward to the coming days when we will be making more
and more progress.  It is apparant that This Congress is going to really stand
up to the challenge and with dignity and perservance.

  It is a good feeling isn't it?

  Regards,

  Theresa J. Steed

            Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:39:45 -0700 (PDT)    From:  "Speaker Pelosi"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Subject:  House Call - Holding
the President Accountable  #message { overflow:auto; visibility:hidden }
                                     April 27, 2007          Holding the
President Accountable for the War in Iraq
  This week, the House and Senate approved the final version of the Iraq
Accountability Act, and sent it to the President’s desk to await his response.
For the first time, the President will be held accountable for the war in Iraq.
This legislation is grounded in the realities of the war in Iraq, recognizes
the strain that this war is placing on our military, recognizes the urgency to
hold the Iraqi government accountable, and honors our commitment to our
veterans, instead of the failure to meet those commitments that exists now. If
the President vetoes this bill, he vetoes accountability.
  Since the beginning of this war, the President has repeatedly failed to
account for its continuing costs in his regular budget request. He has
attempted to hide the true cost of this war from the American people. That is
why Congress has had to pass seven supplemental funding bills. The legislation
provides $124.2 billion, primarily for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, for
improving the health care for returning soldiers and veterans, for continued
Hurricane Katrina recovery for the Gulf Coast, to fill major gaps in homeland
security, and to provide emergency drought relief for farmers.
  This legislation includes a responsible plan to redeploy U.S. forces in Iraq
paired with progress made by the Iraqi government in meeting diplomatic and
security benchmarks. The bill will hold the President accountable for meeting
his own military readiness standards for our troops. The Iraq Government will
also be held accountable for meeting political, economic and security
benchmarks established by the Bush Administration and the Iraqis themselves.
  This bill is consistent with the recommendations of the Iraq Study Group. It
has the support of many retired military generals and reflects the wishes of
the American people to wind down this war. The President has to face the
reality on the ground in Iraq. And he has to face the reality of accountability
in this Congress.
  Watch Speaker Pelosi on the House Floor in support of the bill>>
  Watch floor debate coverage on the Gavel>>

  Moving the Innovation Agenda Forward
  This week, the House took the first of many steps toward implementing an
Innovation Agenda that keeps America #1 by passing with bipartisan support,
three crucial pieces of legislation. Our agenda will invest in the next
generation of innovators, grow our economy, advance our technology, and produce
jobs for the American people.
  The 10,000 Teachers, 10 Million Minds Science and Math Scholarship Act
ensures that our teachers are equipped to adequately prepare the workforce of
tomorrow in science, math, and technology. It invests in new teachers through
professional development, summer training institutes, graduate education
assistance, and scholarships. The Sowing the Seeds Through Science and
Engineering Research Act encourages young scientists by providing grants in the
early stages of their careers. And the Small Business Lending Improvement Act
provides small businesses with the access to capital they need to start and
expand their businesses.
  The American people have always excelled at leading the world. With this bold
agenda, our nation will continue to be the world leader in education,
innovation, and economic growth.
  Watch Speaker Pelosi on the Innovation Agenda>>

  Learn more about the Innovation Agenda>>

  Equal Pay for Equal Work
  Nearly 44 years after President John F. Kennedy signed the Equal Pay Act into
law, gender pay disparities still exist in astonishing numbers, forcing
American women to work longer just to earn the same amount of money as their
male colleagues. Today, women who work full-time, year-round earn only 77 cents
for every dollar men do. The earnings for African-American women are 68 percent
of men's earnings; the earnings of Hispanic women are 57 percent of men's
earnings; and the earnings of Asian-American women are 88 percent of men's
earnings.
  April 24th marked Equal Pay Day, the day almost four months into the new year
that women have to work just so their wages equal the same amount paid to men
in the previous year. On average, it takes women 16 months to earn what men
earn in one calendar year.
  Learn more about Equal Pay Day and the Paycheck Fairness Act>>

  Cover the Uninsured Week
  Cover the Uninsured Week, April 23 through April 29, brings our nation's
attention to the millions of Americans without health insurance, particularly
our uninsured children. In America today, it is an unacceptable reality that 9
million children still do not have health insurance.
  This year, Congress will reauthorize the State Children's Health Insurance
Program (SCHIP) for another five years. The program provides matching funds to
states to help them provide health care coverage for children living in
families that are earning too much to qualify for Medicaid but not enough to
afford private insurance.
  House Democrats believe that in our country no child should go without health
care. We know that children who have health insurance are better prepared to
learn in school, and in turn better equipped to succeed in life. This summer,
we will pass a strong SCHIP reauthorization bill to send to President Bush for
his signature. America's children deserve no less.
  Learn more>>

  Protecting Our Environment
  When elected into the majority this year, House Democrats made it clear that
the days of rejecting the science of global warming are over, as are the days
of standing idly by. In January, the Speaker Pelosi announced the creation of
the Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming, and Democrats
continue to move ahead in addressing these issues, some of humanity's greatest
challenges to date.
  This week, Speaker Pelosi addressed the League of Conservation Voters, and
discussed the progress House committees are making. The committees will propose
a wide variety of solutions to these global challenges, including working to
green the federal government, expanding investments in renewable energy
initiatives, and creating an advanced research project to develop cutting-edge
new clean-energy technologies.
  We take up this work because we hold our children's future in our hands - not
our grandchildren, or great-grandchildren, but our own children. As it says in
the Old Testament, "To minister to the needs of God's creation is an act of
worship. To ignore those needs is to dishonor the God who made us."

  Read Speaker Pelosi’s speech to the League of Conservation Voters>>

                                          Click here to unsubscribe.
Visit Speaker.gov

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.