Fri, 18 May 2007 16:28:18 -0700 (PDT)    From:  "Speaker Pelosi"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Subject:  House Call -
American People vs. The President  #message { overflow:auto; visibility:hidden
}                                       May 18, 2007          The American
People vs. The President

  There is no question that the American people have lost confidence in the
conduct of the war in Iraq, and that American families are paying the price for
the Republican Administration’s mismanagement of the war. President Bush has
time after time failed to heed this call for a new direction in Iraq.

  Speaker Pelosi and Leader Reid met with Republican leaders and White House
officials regarding the Iraq Accountability Act this morning. Going into the
meeting, Speaker Pelosi had hopes to find common ground of accountability and
ending the war. Disappointingly, White House officials made it clear that the
President will not accept any accountability or responsibility. The President
and Congressional Republicans need to negotiate in good faith; if they do not,
we are prepared to work through the scheduled Memorial Day recess to accomplish
our goals.

  The clear difference between Democrats and the President is on
accountability. President Bush will not accept accountability or responsibility
for what has happened in Iraq. This Congress will restore accountability and
strengthen our military in a way that honors our troops and their families -
and our veterans. This legislation makes us better able to defend our national
interests and secure our homeland. It includes everything the President has
asked for the troops, and more. Before commemorating this Memorial Day, we will
send this bill to the President that pays tribute to those that have fallen on
behalf of our country, and supports those fighting bravely on our behalf. It is
time for accountability in Iraq, and a new direction.

Strengthening Our Military & Supporting Our Troops

  This week, the House overwhelmingly approved the FY 2008 Defense
Authorization Bill, providing the necessary resources and authorities to
quickly and efficiently reverse declining trends in training and equipment
readiness. It will improve health care for our troops, provide them the best
gear and protection, and increase their pay and the benefits they have earned.

  The President has threatened to veto the FY08 Defense Authorization Bill and
the White House issued a Statement of Administration Policy declaring their
opposition to a 3.5% pay raise for the troops and an additional $40 per month
for widows of slain soldiers, as well as additional benefits for surviving
family members of civilian employees and price controls for prescription drugs
under TRICARE. Today, Democratic Leaders issued a joint letter to President,
urging him to reconsider his objections to the bill giving troops the pay raise
they deserve and increasing benefits for surviving spouses of men and women in
uniform.

  America has the finest military in the world. But we must support their
heroic efforts and ensure they are ready and fully equipped. Unfortunately, the
Bush Administration’s failed policies in Iraq have depleted our great military
and put a tremendous strain on our troops. Under the bill, our troops will get
better health care, better pay, and the benefits they have earned.

  Read the letter to the President>>

Watch video from the floor debate on The Gavel>>

A Budget That Reflects America’s Values

  This week, Democrats in the House and Senate passed a budget out of
conference committee that we will now send to the President’s desk for his
signature. Our budget restores fiscal responsibility by balancing the budget in
five years, protecting middle class families from tax increases, and
emphasizing the right priorities for America’s future. In contrast, the
President’s Budget remains in deficit far into the future, cuts crucial job
training, health care, and college affordability initiatives. It does not
adequately prioritize military readiness, cutting funding for first responders
and local law enforcement.

  Our budget is a statement of our national values, and a blueprint for our new
direction for America. It strengthens national security while ending waste,
fraud, and abuse. It provides health care for millions of uninsured children,
and makes college more affordable. It invests in innovation, providing fresh
thinking on reducing global warming and increasing our nation’s energy
independence.

  Read Speaker Pelosi’s statement on passage of the budget>>

  See a side by side comparison of the Democratic Budget vs. the President's
Budget>>

Lowering Gas Prices

  House Democrats are committed to lowering gas prices to ease the burden on
American families. We will increase our nation’s energy independence, and
reduce our global warming emissions. On May 8th, we began a series of hearings
investigating rising gas prices and energy dependence. This week, the Energy
and Commerce Oversight Subcommittee held a hearing focusing on the shutdown of
the BP refinery last year, which resulted in oil spikes, and the company’s
failure to investing in critical infrastructure. Additionally, the Judiciary
Committee Antitrust Task Force held a hearing on whether anticompetitive
practices in the oil and gasoline industry are causing record gas prices.

  Next week, we will bring legislation on gas price gouging to the House floor.
The Federal Price Gouging Prevention Act will make it illegal for anyone to
sell oil, gasoline, natural gas, or petroleum at a price that is excessive, and
prohibit sellers from taking advantage of emergency circumstances to increase
their prices.

  Learn about House action on rising gas prices>>

  Watch video highlights from the Judiciary Committee hearing on price
gouging>>

Supporting Community Policing and Honoring Fallen Officers

  This week, the House passed legislation to strengthen the community oriented
policing effort (COPS) that has proven to reduce crime nationwide but was
underfunded during the previous Republican-led Congress. This bill
reinvigorates the program, and keeps our neighborhoods safe by putting 50,000
additional police officers on the street over the next 6 years.

  On Tuesday we commemorated Peace Officers Memorial Day, honoring the
sacrifice of the brave men and women who heroically gave their lives in the
line of duty to protect ours. Passing the COPS Improvement Act this week is one
way to honor our commitment to our officers in the line of duty, providing them
the necessary tools to keep America safe.

  Learn more about the Community Policing Improvement Act>>

  Speaker Pelosi: COPS Bill Honors Our Police Officers on This Peace Officers
Memorial Day>>

                                          Click here to unsubscribe.
Visit Speaker.gov

FareChase.