How We’re Animalistic — in Good Ways and Bad: MAUREEN DOWD - Neocons' Animal
Politics +
  by MAUREEN DOWD - THE NEW YORK TIMES
Wednesday May 30th, 2007 6:18 AM

  THE COMPLETE ARTICLE AND MORE

  -->  OP-ED COLUMNIST
How We’re Animalistic — in Good Ways and Bad
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: May 30, 2007

Thumos and Thucydides, for modern times.

The odd thing is that conservatives wear pinstriped suits, when they really
should be walking around in togas. The main contribution of the Greeks to
modern American politics may have been Michael Dukakis, who once climbed the
Acropolis in wingtips.

But that doesn’t stop conservatives — especially the Straussians who pushed for
going into Iraq — from being obsessed with ancient Greece, and from believing
that they are the successors to Plato and Homer in terms of the lofty ideals
and nobility and character in American politics — while Democrats merely muck
about with policies for the needy.

Harvey Mansfield, a leading Straussian who teaches political science at Harvard
and who wrote a book called “Manliness” (he’s for it), gave the Jefferson
lecture recently at the National Endowment for the Humanities in Washington.

It was an ode, as his book is, to “thumos,” the Greek word that means
spiritedness, with flavors of ambition, pride and brute willfulness. Thumos, as
Philip Kennicott wrote in The Washington Post, “is a word reinvented by
conservative academics who need to put a fancy name on a political philosophy
that boils down to ‘boys will be boys.’ ”

Mr. Mansfield did not mention the war, which is a downer at conclaves of
neocons and thumos worshippers. But he explained that thumos is “the bristling
reaction of an animal in face of a threat or a possible threat.” In thumos, he
added, “we see the animality of man, for men (and especially males) often
behave like dogs barking, snakes hissing, birds flapping. But precisely here we
also see the humanity of the human animal” because it is reacting for “a
reason, even for a principle, a cause. Only human beings get angry.”

[Related: Kristol and Kagan: ‘Put Everything’ Behind Escalation So We Can Bomb
Iran and Syria]

--MORE--
http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/2007/05/animal-politics.html

Posted by CRIMES AND CORRUPTION OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER NEWS mparent7777 Marc
Parent CCNWON

Labels: 'surge', Dowd, fred kagan, Iran, Iraq, Leo Strauss, Maureen Dowd,
neocons, New York Times, News, Politics, Syria, war

Israeli ministers call for invasion of Gaza: "Destroy a village or two"
http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/2007/05/destroy-village-or-two-cut-off-their.html

The body bags on the assembly line of death are now "bi-partisan"
http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/2007/05/body-bags-on-assembly-line-of-death-are.html

    'I hope and pray that President Bush will bomb Iran': Top neocon in the WSJ

http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-hope-and-pray-that-president-bush.html

CRIMES AND CORRUPTION OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER NEWSWIRE - MAY 29, 2007
http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/2007/05/crimes-and-corruption-of-new-world_30.html

And More
http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/
http://www.wakeupfromyourslumber.com/blog/38